Although I’ve read the getting started & scoured the web I’m struggling with this & would really appreciate some help!
As there are SO many ways of doing things in Cubase it’s flexibility makes it hard to just get the basics up & running
“Looking for the easiest setup to allow me to create projects using VSTS AND External Midi Synths & mixdown the audio from them all”
I have a lot of external gear & want a simple workflow which avoids having to setup each instrument individually in great detail to be able to use it
I’ve looked everywhere for a diagram with examples of how to physically connect this to this along with the softwaer settings but no joy
IN MORE DETAIL
This would be so much easier to explain as a visual diagram but here goes!
Summary of current situation
1. A number of Hardware Synths / Drum machines are connected into 2 Audio patch panels
2. I don’t have a big enough mixing desk for all those audio outputs from the patch panels so I take as many as I can into the two small mixing desks I have until I have no more inputs left. I can use patch leads to change which gear I hear via those Mixing desk inputs if I wish
Some go into a Peavey Mixing desk then the main OUTPUT from that desk goes into the INPUT of my Phonic desk along with more gear via the patch panels
3. Output from VST’s / samples etc within Cubase come OUT of my M-Audio 24/96 Soundcard in my Pc into an INPUT on the Phonic desk
4. The main OUT from the Phonic desk goes INTO my M-Audio 24/96 Soundcard in my Pc
5. when I’m working in Cubase I listen to the output via headphones in my Phonic desk so I can hear everything from any input / output & I am under the illusion I am cooking on gas - even applying cubase midi effects to external kit like Beat designer are working well & sounding great…
Until I try to export the whole lot as an Audio mixdown!
This is where it gets confusing for me…
I can create a project with VST’s, create Midi tracks utilising external hardware Synths & I can hear everything
Of course when I mixdown I only get the Audio tracks as my external instruments aren’t set up properly
I don’t know whether I need to:-
1/ Open the VST Connections window from the Devices menu. 2. Open the External Instrument tab and click “Add External Instrument”." and add for each of my external hardware synths
None of my Synths are listed & even if I had the option of create new (which I didnt notice last time I looked) do I need to spend hours creating synth specific info?
2/ Create a midi track with a corresponding Audio track & somehow link them??
3/ Create an Instrument track which combines both?
4/ Not sure if I need more physical Inputs / ooutputs on my soundcard
Seems such a simple requirement - “Record vsts & external Synths” but seems hugely complicated & that’s before I even start with effects busses & what not
I would be really grateful if someone could give me a 'human answer to this - rather than page 245 - read the manual etc.
Manuals serve a purpose but I don’t think you can beat a good answer from fellow musicians who have been through the same process already & found the best way though
Thanks in advance!