No help manual for installed version

2022-05-26T04:00:00Z
Installed version 2.2.1036
Help Manual is for version 1.2.0

First, I want to say how very much I enjoy scoring in Dorico-for-iPad. I’m an 80-year old woman living in an Assisted Living community. I can no longer play the piano very well so this app has given me many days of pleasure.

The help manual is thorough, and very well organized. Coupled with the awesome videos, and Forums, Steinberg has created a fantastic support system.

I know you are extremely busy, but is the updated help manual on the horizon? I need it.

If I’ve overlooked it, please point me in the correct direction.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Hi Edna, your post was a delight to read – it’s so nice to hear how you’re using Dorico for iPad and enjoying it!

I’m sorry the Dorico for iPad manual doesn’t fully match the available app, there’s a bit of work needed to catch up the difference; the same is true for the desktop version! I will get to it as soon as I can though.

Is there anything in particular that you’re looking for information about that’s not yet in the Dorico for iPad manual?

Hello Lillie, Thank you for answering so promptly. I enjoy your explanations on the Forum.

I need two things.

1. Help with using the Play mode. Maybe I haven’t used the right search terms.

This is one area where the video for V.2 doesn’t help. It assumes that the listener is already familiar with many concepts that are new to me. For example, I’m not bringing Cubase skills with me.

My study pattern is to watch the video several times then go to a practice song to try out the concepts. I often use split screen in other apps, but I understand that Dorico is too complex for that.

I don’t seem to be able to learn it by just poking around.

1. I did something with the flow title and have messed up royally. I’m pretty sure that I’m going to have to learn how to post the project, but I still need to research how to do that.

One thing that would definitely help would to be able to access the help manual outside of Dorico, instead of having to open the app first. Then I could open it on the iPhone and work in a practice song simultaneously. Maybe there’s already a way that I haven’t discovered.

I appreciate your patience and your expertise. Thank you.

"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."
—Steve Jobs

1 Like

That’s really helpful, thank you.

1. Play mode – all manuals are currently missing this section, Play mode was extensively overhauled between Dorico 3.5 and Dorico 4, and the documentation just isn’t fully updated to reflect that yet. We will publish this section of the manual as soon as we can.

For now, videos about the “key editor” in Dorico 4 should reflect current functionality – that’s a new term for Dorico, because piano roll functionality that was previously only available in Play mode is now accessible from Write mode, in the lower zone. E.g. Try this video:

1. Flow titles – if you’ve double-tapped where the title appears in the music and entered the text there, you’ve probably created a page override. Don’t worry, it’s easy enough to fix – if you’ve not done too much editing in that layout (your score?) you can simply create a new layout in Setup mode: it will start with default settings again. You can then add the title and other information in Project Info.

(You might also find this page from our First Steps guide informative about how titles etc get onto pages in Dorico. It uses the term “master page”, which was the 3.5-and-earlier name for what we now call “page templates”.)

1. Accessing the manual outside of Dorico – this is absolutely possible, but you might want to bookmark the relevant link. For the iPad, the online manual link is here (for the webhelp version). For Dorico Pro 4 on the desktop for example, the relevant link is here.
  1. I didn’t realize that key editor is now available in Write mode Can’t wait to try the link.

2. I did so many things trying to get the song to look the way I want that it’s impossible to remember them all and backtrack.

The most egregious thing I did was to backspace and delete the entire {@fLowTitle@} from both pages 1 and 2.

I did study the relationship between layouts, setup, and flows. I studied everything under each of those topics. I believe that I did everything right in project info and setup. But I know that I must have made my mistake earlier.

I’ll study the video and try with a practice version of my song and let you know what happens.

Hope you have a terrific weekend.

"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."
—Steve Jobs

1 Like

Hi Lillie

I never could create a new layout, but I tried something different and it worked.
M
First I created a new empty project using the same players in the same order that they appeared in my original. Then I opened the original and tapped cmd A. Everything was selected. I used cmd C, returned to the new project, tapped in the top left measure, and used cmd V. All of the music for the player in that staff copied, but not everything for all players.

I repeated this process for the remaining two players I’m using. Am very glad I wasn’t writing for an entire orchestra.

This is probably in the manual somewhere, but I found it by trial and error plus a bit of the Irish luck.

Glad you got something to work for you!

For reference, the instructions for creating a layout were in my previous reply but they were embedded in the words – here’s a standalone version of that link:

Hi Lillie,
Your instructions also said , “Don’t worry, it’s easy enough to fix – if you’ve not done too much editing in that layout (your score?)”.

I had already edited my project quite a bit and figured that was why I was unsuccessful. I tried the recommended method on a completely new project with just a few notes for each player and it worked fine.

The interesting thing to me was that I could copy from one project to another.

I appreciate your responsiveness.

I was mostly referring to the amount of work you would need to replicate manually in the fresh layout as a result, and therefore whether that would be a preferable option in your situation; it has no bearing on whether or not you can do it!

As in, if you had made lots of changes unique to the original score that you would have to do all over again, that might not be a great option. But if you hadn’t, then the difference between the original and fresh scores would be minimal.

My understanding of how layouts, players and flows interact has increased a lot since you helped me.

Your instructions were a huge help in my learning!

In my recent post, I was just giving the background to my discovery that I could copy from one project and paste into a different one.

I realize now that it was unnecessary to do that because anyone on the Forum can read previous posts.

This is the first forum that I have ever participated in and I truly appreciate the opportunity to learn.