No midi output in Cubase vst5

hi steve,
i was able to hear Gm voices but since reinstall cannot hear them on playing back notes drawn in.
tried the vsti’s that came with cubase,can hear them on playback after drawing notes in,just unable to play them live.
Last night i just opened Reason on its own,set its midi out put to the DMX and could play live sounds.
So,its not my soundcard or cables that are the problem(?).
I have windows set to play no sounds,like you said.I will look closer at this later when i can get on the other pc cubase is installed on.
If that offers no solution then i am going to do a system restore,have the backup disks that came with it so hopefully that’ll work.
Will report back when i have done these.
cheersfor the input.

yes,knew what system restore did,will have to have a look what date is there.If i hadnt reinstalled cubase it should have been from when i did a windows update i think,which might have caused this problem.

Only reason i said i would use the backup system restore disks that came with my pc is that i used them before instead of reformatting my HD,used it once and it got things working again.
just means backing up sample library and reinstalling programmes that were not installed when i first got the pc,more or less everything i think.
You mentioned network stuff causing problems,i think this might be what has caused this no midi output problem,could be wrong,sure cubase ran ok after downloading windows update stuff,but i could be wrong.
Will look at the pc later when feeling a bit better,thanks for the input.

should have said that i used Norton ghost to restore using the backup disks that came with the pc.
Btw,installed the 5.2 last update release and it makes performing actions in cubase a lot slower,trying to rewind the track using the transport bar is really slow now.

well,went to try and restore system with the backup disks and the current version of norton ghost doesn’t use those files on the disks,.GHO,cant find the original copy of ghost on disk,don’t know where it is now.
Using the windows system restore didn’t work,latest it went back to was 20th sept 2013 ,stll couldn’t get midi output from playing my keyboard.
So,i had to ‘nuke’ the pc ,damn pain to do,reinstalling everything,especially windows updates as microsoft doesn’t seem to do updates for a fresh install of xp home now.
Anyway,after spending ages doing it all my system now works fine.
I can once again play from my midi keyboard live,latency is low so no problems.
Will keep looking at the getting into details manual and see what else i can learn.
Thanks for all your attempts to fix the problem,much appreciated.