No multi-core support in AU version (LogicX) of H6

I made some tests this morning, in the AU version in Logic 10.3 of HALion 6 there is no multi-core support happening, I tried enabling multi-core support in HALion itself to no avail, the CPU meters both in Logic and in Activity Monitor on my 12-core Mac (latest version ->24 virtual cores altogether) display only 1 active core when playing a single instance of H6, in Cubase 8 with the VST version all 24 cores are being used as displayed in the Activity Monitor (the CPU meter in Cubase only shows the average load, not the CPU used per core like in the logic meter).

That’s a big pity, as the new wave-table synth can get pretty CPU demanding very fast, e.g. when layering 2 wavetables and using several unison voices.

Q) What happens if you run H6 in stand-alone mode ? is it utilizing all of the OS-cores?

Q) I wonder if the same problems are also occurring in the WIN platform?

No, also in standalone mode it’s mostly happening an a single core with a little bit of activity spread to the other 11 cores, the 12 virtual cores are obviously not being used at all, although I have selected 24 cores in the HALion preferences.

No, also in standalone mode it’s mostly happening an a single core with a little bit of activity spread to the other 11 cores, the 12 virtual cores are obviously not being used at all, although I have selected 24 cores in the HALion preferences.[/quote]

… so should I interpret the above as : your system has 12 real cores, and you have hyper threading on (24 virtual cores).
and if so: have you tried turning off hyper threading ?

I wonder if other MAC-OSX users are having the same problems

Hi Simon and Stef,

There is no multi-core support for each single slot in HALion. If you just have a single slot, there will always just one core be active. As soon as you load more slots or use more than one instance of HALion, more cores will cover the workload.

Thank’s for the explanation, Matthias.

thanks for the info, I promise I’m not intentionally being pedantic, however , with your first sentence do you mean to omit the word “each” so it reads as : “There is no multi-core support for a single slot in HAlion”
… using the word “each” is counter intuitive in the subsequent statement.

Question/What if :
someone creates a HALion instrument where the layers are vertically split across the slots.
[akin to creating a midi-stacked instrument using several mono-timbral synths], so for example :
Layer1 : slot 1
Layer2 : slot 2
Layer3 : slot 3

I’m not saying this is a a neat nor smart way to go about it,… but if a user absolutely needs to squeeze those extra cpu cycles from their performance/HAL setup, then would the above approach engage other cpu-cores ?