"NO ORDINARY DAY"

I must admit of this is one of my favourite (co-written) songs. Not sure why, it just resonates with me I guess. Anyway six years after it was first penned I’ve decided to now do this fresh new version, and have a go at singing it myself. The I original was sung by the lyricist Helen Lares. She of course had a great voice so I guess its rather bold of me to go up against that, but I’m hoping I’ve brought something a little different to the song. :confused:
The only thing I’ve used from the original is the drums (slightly edited).

Anyway…

No Ordinary Day

great mix, that I’m hearing anyway, especially on the acoustic. cool background sound, like around 2min, what is that.
nicely arranged song

^^^^^^^^
I agree! :smiley:

I didnt hear the original with Helen Lares, but what im hearing here sounds great.
What acoustic you got? It’s got a nice strummy sound :smiley:

Sav

Yep - this works for me, Ian. Well mixed, well sung, well played. I really liked the production on the bridge.
that low rhythmic sound is tres cool.

Nice work,
Lenny

No nits here Ian. :slight_smile:

I like the snare! :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: I like that percussive fx in the section at around 2mins. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Thanks :slight_smile: That ‘sound’ that everyone is referring to is created with a fee VSTi plugin called Crystal.
I used to use it quite a bit…then I forgot about it for a while. But now I’ve rediscovered it… its a nice wee toy!

Cheers! :smiley:
Well, believe it or not it’s actually an ultra-cheap Chinese-built Epiphone. BUT… I stumbled across rave reviews one day when I was looking around for a good, but affordable acoustic. And as luck would have a local Chinese music store had that exact model on sale - around $US250. I read they just needed setting up more carefully and ideally the saddle replaced with Tusq or bone. So I had a luthier do all that, (also fitted an EQ unit) then put on some Martin SF custom lights…and well, it all seems to work great! :slight_smile:

Gee, you guys are no fun! :laughing:

Thanks! :smiley:

Yeah, a great song here Ian, a wonderful chorus and nice drive to it.
This mix sounds a lot better than Do You Remember and seems
less squashed.

My only nit is the sudden-death ending.

Good work!

Jet

Nice job I don’t hear anything that’s out of place.

Cheers Jet :slight_smile:

My only nit is the sudden-death ending.

Yeah… I thought that might bother some. I reckon if it creates a bit of controversy then that’s gotta be good. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks !

:sunglasses:

It’s not bad, but far from my favorite Sherz tune. It’s just too conventional for me, both in terms of lyrics and chord progression. It’s a good recording, however, and has some kick to it. I’m not sure the way the bass moves around in the last chorus works very well – comes off a bit clunky. I heard a fill near the end that was kind of weak, too – is that a Jamstix thing? And, of course, that snare is not good at all. I’m serious! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the feedback Doug. :sunglasses:

Live drums by Scott Garrett. :stuck_out_tongue: