NO Sound from a new project with audio track insetered first?

If I create a new project and import an audio file there is NO sound output from Cubase.
In Mix Console you can clearly see the audio is playing back in the Track Meter and the Master Stereo Out meter.
If I add a 2nd or 3rd (or any number of audio tracks) there is NO sound output from Cubase.
If I add an instrument track (I have tried with Retrologue 2, Padshop, HALion Sonic SE, Korg M1, Kontakt with various librarys), the same thing happens, you can see the audio output from the instrument in its audio out track and you can see the signal playing in the Master Stereo Out meter.

If I create a new project and insert an instrument track FIRST, then Cubase outputs the audio as it should.
If i then import audio, then Cubase Pro 12 outputs the audio as it should.

If I open an existing older project from one of the earlier versions of Cubase (Pro 11 and backwards), Cubase Pro 12 outputs the audio as it should.

It is clearly a Cubase Pro 12 issue.

Well… it is clearly no general C12 issue… since on many systems it’s just working. Must be on your system… but we can’t tell, since we miss your entire system specs.

Thank you for your patronising, unhelpful and inapporpiate reply.

If you have nothing helpful to say, or you are not from Steinberg, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself as my post was for Steinberg Tech Support.

BTW. For any one else reading this, it IS an issue with Cubase Pro 12.
I still have Cubase Pro 11 and Pro tools on my machine and they both work fine, as does all of the other audio related software.

The question is… what is your machine… this would be the first question from support, btw.

I don’t understand that so many people asking for help without providing some basic information. At least the platform (Win or Mac) would be a good start…

@st10ss OK.

Intel(R) Core™ i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.8 GB
Available Physical Memory 28.2 GB
Total Virtual Memory 33.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 28.1 GB

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR22c

This machine is a dedicated DAW only machine meaning no other sofware or drivers are installed.

As well as Cubase Pro 12, On this machine we also have:

Cubase Pro 11
Pro Tools 12
Ableton Live 11 Suite
Studio One 5

Main DAW Controllers
SSL UF 8
Arturia MiniLab MK II
Korg nanoKONTROL Studio

All of the above DAW applications work perfectly.
All of the above DAW Controllers work perfectly in each of the DAW software.

The only DAW software that is causing problems is Cubase Pro 12
The only DAW software that is causing problems with DAW controllers is Cubase Pro 12

The problems only started when Cubase Pro 12 was installed.

Sounds like maybe your control room isn’t enabled

1 Like

Hi @Wickham_Sky

BINGO - thank you, that did the trick.

I did not even think to look at Control Room as we never use it and in all of the previous versions of Cubase that we have had (since Cubase SX) we have never had to even open it and thats if it was ever a part of those earlier versions.

Thanks, you have really helped.

***So it was a cubase pro 12 issue in that it requires the Control Room to be turn on when you install it where as I ididn’t have to in previous versions.