No sound from file browser media bay etc

yes preview set to max.i have moved it up and down just on the chance it might work
but nothing

Hi,

In running out of ideas.

Trashing preferences would definitely help.

trashing preferences.is that just deleting everything inside preferences folder?

Hi,

You can do so from the Safe Start Dialog or delete/rename the whole Cubase 12 (Cubase 12_64 on Windows) preferences folder at your system.

of course im going to ask questions regarding this,so apologies if im seeming a little silly.
If i delete cubase 12 64 folder completly, does it regenerate itself the next time i start cubase?
then i can put back in my plugin list and user preference xml documents(if i saved them)

Exactly, the folder and all the files will be created on next launch, the same as when you install Cubase.
Prior to do this, it is recommended to backup any file that may contain custom settings, so yes, you can easily replace the PluginManager.xml and UserPreferences.xml files :wink:

ok i have deleted the preferences(made a copy though,but havent put back in yet)
and the preview is now working thats cubase 12
on cubase 11 i stil dont have the preview sound,i havent deleted the preference folder for it yet.
what on earth out of preferences could have caused that?
thanks by the way

Sometimes the xml files can store wrong information and cause random parts of the daw to malfunction, generally this is the Defaults.xml file, but it can be other files too.
Deleting the whole folder is quicker but when things like this happen, you can simply remove the Defaults.xml file and see if that fixes it.
Iā€™m glad we could sort this out !
Thanks for your help @Martin.Jirsak and @RTT1 !

1 Like

yeah,it working in cubase 11 now too.thanks a million guys.
one question(i hope only 1)
i could swear last night when i was dragging loops from file browser onto a track,they were being played at whatever tempo i changed project to(musical mode)
today when i drag a loop from file browser the loop only plays at the original tempo of the loop.when i click on the musical mode toggle on or of it makes no difference

Maybe the file tempo is the same as the project tempo ?
You can check and set that in the Pool (first option when opening the Project menu).
If the tempo is the same, musical mode cannot stretch anything, so thatā€™s logic.

Is the loop you imported the same as when it was working ?
Sometimes the tempo is stored into the WAV file metadata, and sometimes not.
If there is no tempo in the file, Cubase automatically assign the project tempo to it, so musical mode will not work unless you change it in the Pool.
I think the first loop you imported already had a tempo stored in its data, and it was different to the project tempo, thatā€™s why musical mode was working directly.

possibly the loops i had been importing had bpm on the file name.i wasnt aware that if the tempo is not on the name then musical mode makes no difference.
ill look into it tomorow
thanks again everyone

1 Like

I donā€™t think Cubase is aware of the file name, but if the bpm is stated in the name, then it is most probably included in the file metadata.

hi there,i have run into this problem again. i since got ssd drive and had to reinstall all.
i dont use mediabay much,just decided to delve into it again.
i took out user preferences xml from cubase 11_64 folder kept it on desktop so i could put it back after.
i have gotten mediabay previewing but i seem to have lost my plugin list(that i created in plugin manager)
where has it gone?
what a disaster,i get something working that i hardly use,but have lost something i spent ages building up!
please help

Hi,

The list is stored in the preferences folder. So once you move it out, Cubase lost it.

i have hit this problem again with no sound on mediabay. i finally got sound,but my preferences dont seem to be going back.
i deleted the cubase 11 64 folder (copied it to desktop) then i copied the userpreferences xml to the newly created folder,but like i said my preferences arent in cubase when i open it.

Hi,

Most of the preferences sit in the defaults.xml.