No sound in Dorico on Mac Studio

Sorry to come back to this, but the sound is gone again. I tried with/without Rosetta mode, and from every sound output device I could find. No sound from Dorico but all other software and audio files play back normally. Any ideas how to get sound out of Dorico?

Have you been running other audio software that might have been interfering with your audio interface settings? Check that the expected sample rate is chosen in Edit > Device Setup.

Not since I restarted the Mac this morning, only been using Dorico. The settings seem to be correct:
Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 09.54.26
I am using Noteperformer and I apparently this can be a problem on the Mac Studio, but I tried with and without Rosetta mode, no sound.

OK, I checked the Playback VST in Dorico and… there wasn’t one set for Noteperformer as shown in the screenshot. When I choose for example PianoTeq, there is sound. I would like to use NP though, still an option?
Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 10.21.25

Now running in Rosetta mode again and Noteperformer shows up in the Vst rack and plays back! So this is why Rosetta mode has to be used? finally getting it…

1 Like

Various Steinberg VSTs have been updated to run natively on Apple silicon. Various third-party VSTs have been updated to run natively on Apple silicon. Dorico 4 runs natively on Apple silicon. For all of the above, you don’t need Rosetta.

If, within Dorico, you want to use a VST that hasn’t been updated to run natively on Apple silicon, you need to run Dorico under Rosetta.

1 Like

I have Bose USB speakers hooked up to an Apple Studio but unfortunately I can’t set them to 44,100 kHz so I can’t use them with Dorico. Fortunately I can set Dorico to play back through the studio monitor speakers (which aren’t all that bad) and everything else to play back through the Bose speakers.

What sample rates do they support, and can you not set Dorico to match that sample rate?

The Bose USB audio device only supports 48000 kHz. Selecting this is System Preferences and changing it in Dorico results in no sound at all. Interestingly, setting things up as I described above works until I run Dorico. If Dorico is set to play back through the monitor speakers and everything else through the Bose speakers, after running Dorico, the rest of the system is no longer able to play back through the Bose speakers (including system alert sounds) and I have either to switch to the monitor speakers or to restart the computer. Hmm.

Hi @Vaughan_Schlepp , what if you choose in Dorico und Edit > Device Setup the Built-in Audio device and change that to 48kHz and after that choose the Bose as driver, is the sound still dead?

Sorry it took so long to reply. I did finally get it working. There are settings in several places and it seems as though they need to be selected in the proper order. All’s well!

1 Like