No sound/metering with 828es ("audio engine inactive")

Hi guys,

I am having a serious issue with Cubase 10.5 and my new Motu 828es…
I am getting no metering and/or sound when i try and play back a session and my latency is being detected as 0ms (which cant be right)…

If i switch to my onboard sound it plays back just fine, and this exact setup was also working just fine with my old Motu 828mkII (firewire)
The 828es is connected via USB - i am waiting for a thunderbolt adapter and cable before i can try thunderbolt…

I am running the latest drivers/software and firmware for the 828es and its own software detects it no issue…
I have the latest update for Cubase 10.5 and my windows is up to date (although i dont have the 2004 update yet)
I have setup my input output busses and my ins/outs are active
When i look at Superior Drummer 3 it tells me “audio engine inactive”

Im not a noob and have been making music with Cubase for over 15 years - but now im starting to feel lost

Please help! I’d really rather not have to re-setup my old 828mkII
Thanks for any info and your time…

Nick

Ok - some updates

It seems like its more a windows 10/Motu driver issue than specifically with Cubase… But im still hoping someone here can help as i am a Cubase Pro user after all…

I plugged my bass in to make sure the hardware itself was working, and sure enough it worked a treat… Proper levels and metering and i could monitor myself through the Motu mixer with no issue…

However, to recap:

1. Windows detects and sees the Motu and i can select it as an audio device - but no playback/metering through the motu…
  2. Cubase can see the Motu Pro Audio asio driver and i can select it - but no metering/playback in either Cubase or the Motu and Superior Drummer 3 tells me “Audio Engine Inactive - Check your audio device” and the latency in Cubase shows as either ?? or 0ms depending where you look…
  3. Foobar2000 (the only other program i have that can use asio drivers) - no playback/audio

This is a relatively recent and clean PC - Literally only put together a few months ago - and my old Motu828mk2 worked a treat…

Im starting to go nuts! lol

(bump)

Im still have not solved these issues - i am waiting for Motu tech to get back to me…

(bump)

In case anyone has any ideas - ive been trouble shooting for the last week and a half and have yet to sort this out after trying a multitude of things…

I initially had some similar trouble with my 828es.
You might consider the following if not already tried.

1. Check Device Manager - Audio inputs and outputs.
  2. In my case I had trouble with the USB controller. Try different USB3 ports and also make sure no other device is running on the same port.

My Firmware version is 1.3.5+181
Driver Version Windows 4.0.8.2000

For what its worth MOTU Support were very good and eventually we resolved the problem.

Good luck

So i finally got it all sorted - for whatever reason i had to re-install windows… now its all good! :open_mouth: