No sound on headphones

Hi All,
New user here, Cubase Pro 8

I have a USB Plantronics headphones upon which I can hear youtube videos perfectly. However, whenever I try with Cubase… complete silence.

I have a Carillon AC1 pc with Windows Home Premium 7

I have played around with the Device setup VST Audio and the ASIO Latency driver… all to no avail.

Can anyone advise please… is there a control on the mixer I should be looking at?

Cheers,
Chiv

Try looking at your soundcard. There will be something in the soundcard mixer that will allow you to route audio to the headphone socket.

Silhouette, thanks for the reply. Do you mean the soundcard mixer within Cubase? The physical soundcard is an M-audio delta and I do not know how to do anything with that!

My frustration is… if my headphones work with listening to youtube, then logically, they should work with Cubase.
Cheers,
Chiv

1 Like

There will be something in the soundcard mixer that will allow you to route audio to the headphone socket.

You can’t plug USB headphones to an audio headphone socket.

It’s far from ideal but they might work using the ASIO4all driver in Cubase.

USB headphones are an audio device in their own right - independent of the on-board audio, soundcard or external interface - your audio/latency settings will differ from when using the headphones and when using your monitors - I really wouldn’t advise using USB headphones with Cubase!

Thank you all for your responses.

I now have a Sennheiser HD 25-1 with a jack. When the shop built my PC, (a Carillon AC1), they left a test project of three tracks; Plugins Padshop, Hypnotic Dance and Symphonic Orchestra. I click the transport and the ‘curser’ moves along the tracks from left to right,. I can see the led’s move in the Mixer, but there is still no volume in the 'phones. On the back panel of the PC there is a multi-pin plug (plugged in) with 8 sockets coming out: Two Din L&R, two Jack sockets Mon L&R (Monitor), two Jack sockets L&R Main Out, and two Jack sockets for Main In, L&R.

This multi-pin plug is plugged in to the M-Delta Audio card.

I think that is all anyone needs to know. But my question is… Is there something somewhere on the mixer, or anywhere else, I need to ‘turn on’ to get the headphones to function. The only positive thing I noticed with all of this was when I was changing the plugs on the multi-pin plug to the headphones. There was a crackle when I plugged the phones into the Monitor ones.

If anyone has experienced anything like this, I would appreciate their advice.
Thank you.
Chiv.

Have you set up (routed) the inputs and outputs in vst connections of your audio card? Sounds like you need to select the M- Delta Audio card and route the outputs where the phones are connected. I am not familiar with the M-Delta card but normally you would select outputs via vst connections and select the sound card and its associated outputs where the monitors are connected. Just a thought

It would be helpful if you post screen shots of:

The node “VST Audio System” in the “Device Setup” window. (What is selected here, is what Cubase will use.)
The tabs “Inputs” and “Outputs” in the “VST Connections” window.

I think the key here is going to be that the OP is using ‘USB’ headphones.

I must admit I have never even heard of such a thing, but I will bet there is no way to use them with Cubase.

He WAS using USB headphones…But a few posts back he said he now has

Sennheiser HD 25-1 with a jack

The “key” here is reading the thread :laughing:

I just took a look at the M-Audio page and the Delta series interfaces don’t have a headphone amp, they only have line inputs and outputs.
So you would need a separate headphone amp to use your headphones with this interface.

Do you not have a headphone socket on your monitoring amp? What you are trying to do cannot be done with your set up. You would need a sound card with multiple outputs, or at least a dedicated headphones output.

Cubase can only use one audio driver at a time, preferably ASIO. When you listen to youtube with your usb headphones you are using the usb headphones driver which is different from your Delta card driver. Your on board sound is also a seperate device.