No Sound on my PC

Hello there,
First of all - apologies if I’m posting this in the wrong area.
Can anyone offer some simple advice for a musician who is useless with PCs and technical wizardry! I have recently purchased Dorico Elements 4 and installed it on my Windows 11 PC. As far as I am aware everything is correctly installed but I have no sound whatsoever when inputting or on playback. The amount of technical advice is mind-boggling and I simply cannot follow it. Is there someone who can offer an “idiots guide” to solving this problem.
Many Thanks,
John C

Welcome to the forum @John_Cowking .

Please load one of the demo projects and then do from the menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. That gives me an overview and from that I can give more advice. Thanks

Hello Ulf
Thanks for responding - the diagnostics zip file is attached.
Regards,
John C
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (393.9 KB)

Thanks for the data. The case is pretty clear, the audio driver cannot find any output ports and thus streams the audio into void.

Please go to Edit > Device Setup and in there click the Device Control Panel button, a new little window appears. At the top of that window is an option about exclusive access. If you toggle that, does in the middle then appear at least one item in the output ports list box?

Hello again Ulf,
I have tried as you suggest and nothing appears in the output ports list box.
Regards,
John C

I’m sure Ulf will be back either later this evening or in the morning with more advice, but in the meantime, if I can stick my oar in, I would suggest you try downloading and installing the FlexASIO driver from here:

Once you’ve installed FlexASIO, restart Dorico, and choose it in the Edit > Device Setup menu. That will hopefully be enough to coax some sound out of Dorico on your PC.

Hi @John_Cowking ,

Daniel’s advice is good, but I doubt that it will solve your case.

First of all, does your PC have some audio device, I mean, can you listen to e.g. YouTube videos or Windows Media Player?
If you right-click in the Task Bar on the Windows Start icon and choose Device Manager, then unfold the ‘Audio inputs and outputs’ item, what is listed with you?

Good Morning Ulf (well, it’s 9.30 am in UK!),
Yes - I have sound for YouTube with no problem (via speakers connected to PC). I have looked on Windows Device Manager and the Audio Inputs and Outputs and it just lists “Speakers (Cirrus Logic Superior High Definition Audio)”
I hope that’s of some help?
Regards,
John C

Hi @John_Cowking ,

please check the following then:
In the taskbar, right click on the little speaker icon and choose Sound Settings. Go to the properties of your internal speakers and then click on the Advanced text, a new little window will open. In that new window go to the Advanced tab. Is the option for allowing exclusive access ticked with you? If so, then untick it please.
And if we are already there, what is the default audio format set there?

Hello again Ulf,
I’m having some difficulty finding what you ask for in the Sound Settings. I cannot see anything related to speaker properties apart from: “24 bit, 4800Hz (Studio Quality)” and I can’t see anything related to “exclusive access.” The only thing I find is text saying “allow apps and windows to use this device.”
I’m sorry if this is not what you need, but unfortunately you are dealing with a “non-technical” idiot here!!

After you open Sound Settings, scroll down. Under Advanced, click “More Sound settings.” Select your speakers, and then hit Properties. Click the Advanced tab, and uncheck “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.”

Make a note of your specified sample rate, and confirm that Dorico is set to the same rate in Edit/Device Setup.

1 Like

Thanks very much - you have pointed me in the right direction
Cheers,
John C

1 Like

Thanks to help from FredGunn I have found the exclusive access box and unticked it as you said.
Cheers,
John C

And if you now go back to the Control Panel in Dorico, does now your speaker show up in the output ports list? If so, make sure that it is cross marked at the front.

Hello Ulf,
The speakers show up in the output port with a cross. I have just dared to try a playback and an input and I have sound!!!
Is that all complete now?
If so, then a huge “THANK YOU” to everyone for helping this not-so-tech-savvy man through this problem - it’s really appreciated. Now I can start using Doric and begin learning how to make the most of it.
Kind Regards,
John C

1 Like

Hi John, excellent to hear that. No, that’s it now, no need for further setup. And you are more than welcome.