No sound output in audio mixdowns (Cubase 12 Elements)

That is exactly what is happening. I meant to point you in this direction with my first response.
I looked at the website of the Moxf8 and saw that it could run as a plugin in Cubase. Also I wonder if it has its own ASIO driver. In Studio Setup → Audio System (your screenshot above) is there an entry for the Moxf8 in “ASIO Driver”? If so, please select that. It would then transmit audio through the USB cable.

2 Likes

That’s it, you got that right :grin:

In order to be able to record audio in Cubase, you at least need the audio generated by your hardware instruments to enter Cubase, isn’t that logic ?

Your connection with the USB cable currently only provides a MIDI connection, and MIDI only transmits digital data to control the keyboard remotely, it does not transmit audio !

The audio output of your keyboard is only connected to a standard amplifier and the sound goes out through speakers, but what is that amplifier connected to, apart from the keyboard and speakers ? Does the audio signal go into cubase by any mean ? That’s the first thing you should ask yourself when doing the setup.

So an audio interface is a piece of equipment that would permit you to capture the audio from the instruments that are connected to it, and you would still connect your amplifier and speakers to the output of the interface.

However, in your case, the Mofx8 does have an integrated audio interface, which means that the audio will be transmitted by the same USB cable you are currently using for MIDI, you don’t need any addition equipment.

You need to download and install the dedicated driver on your computer, then you’ll be able to select it, in the same place where you find the driver selection in Cubase.
Then after the driver has been selected, go in the Audio Connections window and simply set the Mofx8 input in the Inputs tab, and the output in the Outputs tab.
Now in your Audio track you’ll be able to select the Mofx8 as an audio input.

1 Like

Imagine a conductor in front of an orchestra. The conductor swings his arms in the air and the orchestra plays. If you just take the conductor without the orchestra he still would be swinging his arms but you wouldn’t hear a thing.
Your MIDI track is the conductor, the Mofx8 is the orchestra. MIDI just by itself doesn’t have any sound, it just instructs the instruments how and when to play.
So far you recorded the conductor only and got silence.

Choose the Yamaha USB ASIO driver instead of the Generic Low Latency in the Studio Setup dialog.
Afterwards go to Audio Connections and assign the Outputs (left and right) to the 2 channels that the Yamaha driver now offers.
Then go the Inputs tab and create a stereo bus. Assign the left and right channel of the Yamaha driver to that bus.

1 Like

Johnny_Moneto: Will give that a shot.

Louis_R: I already have the mox usb driver installed. Based on what Johnny_Moneto said above (and also what you said as well), it seems I do not have the ASIO driver activated in CB, however. I will give that a whirl and go from there.

To all who have answered: Thank you so much for your time and patience! Let’s hope this fixes the problem (that I probably created).

Why didn’t you say that earlier ? :relieved:
We were negligent here, we should have asked you, my apologies.

1 Like

Well… I made the changes as noted above, and shown in these three screen shots:

This resulted in an extremely “tinny” sound (monitored) when recording, and approximately 50% of the notes dropped out. The playback of the project was worse. I did not attempt to export that project due to the poor quality. This was done using the midi input. I then decided to try the ‘audio’ input and got zero sound, period (there was nothing on the project sound graph, and there was no sound coming from the speakers either).

I started a new project, went back to midi input again and over in the Inspector box I saw that the ‘In’ was “All MIDI Inputs”, and the ‘Out’ was “Microsoft Wavetable GS Synth”. I changed both of them as shown in the screen shot here (ignore the actual project for now):

This led to a great sound coming from my keyboard/speakers during recording, but no sound again on the export mixdown. I decided to try switching to the ‘audio’ recording again, and once again got no sound from the keyboard/speakers during recording, and a flatline project as shown here:

So I seem to be right back where I started. You folks have been so helpful, and I hate to keep bugging you with my problems, but I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Help?

I think you should first try recording on a simple audio track before thinking about MIDI.
Just try to record the keyboard manually (play it with your own hands). With the track monitored you should hear it the meter should show a signal.

1 Like

That’s what I did. All the tracks above were played by hand. The first project screen is a shot of my 2nd effort, after I changed the settings in the ‘Inspector’ box so that both in and out registered the mox. First they had shown ‘All MIDI’ and ‘Microsoft Wavetable GS Synth’. That resulted in a sound tinnier than an old pocket transistor radio and around half the notes completely dropped out. Then I changed both ‘in’ and ‘out’ to show the mox. Good sound from the speakers, no sound from the mixdown. The second project screenshot is just to show that when I tried recording an audio input track (hand played) it was a flat line - no sound - and there was no sound output from the keyboard or speakers either. Granted, I added it to the previously recorded MIDI track as you can see, but when I was recording it I muted the MIDI track.

Since the keyboard’s audio inputs/outputs are now set up properly under Audio Connections, you should be able to record audio directly into a track, so I don’t know where’s the problem.

If the audio from your keyboard reaches Cubase, you should see the input channel meter moving when playing it. That’s literally the most basic thing you can do in Cubase, if you can’t manage to make this work yet, you must first learn basic usage and the associated troubleshooting before proceeding through more complex use. This takes hours, or even dozens of hours, to master the base stuff. We all come from here.

Your keyboard may contain specific settings for when it is connected to a computer. I think it’s best to read the user manual in order to see how it has to be configured. My guess is that the issue comes from there, and not from Cubase.

1 Like

Within CB, when I select the ‘+’ to add a track, I must choose the source for the track. I’ve chosen MIDI and I have also chosen ‘Audio’. Not at the same time, but separately. And although the 2nd screen shot above shows both an Audio track and a MIDI track, I just added that picture to show that ‘Audio’ was producing nothing - a completely flat line.

The moxf8 has a quick setting for working with a DAW (press both quick setup and A/1 at the same time). I’ve done that every time. I know that this is working because the sound output from the keyboard quits until I select the monitor button in CB. This completes the ‘loop’ and I get sound output again.

Thank you for all your help, I can tell you’re getting a bit frustrated (as am I). There has to be a better way.

I understand you feel like you are at the same place where you were initially but you have already taken some steps in the right direction. So it’s not the time to give up.

Your Audio Connections look good.
When creating a MIDI track you now know to setup the Midi input and output for that track.

Please select your audio track and activate the little speaker icon. Also have the Fader open in the left zone to easily if a signal is coming in. The speaker icon lets you monitor the audio input. Any signal coming in when you play on your keyboard?

When recording an audio track I get nothing. The sound is not reaching CB. To compare, I also did a MIDI track and the sound does reach CB - the meter(s) show it.

I’ve dug back into the manual for the moxf as well as some other things I’ve scrounged from various forums, and compared what they said the setup should be to what I now have - everything matches. They don’t go into the actual CB setup, just what the setup should be for the moxf. So I seem to be ok there. The only potential thing I was doing wrong was using voice or performance mode instead of song mode. Today all my testing was done in song mode. Sadly all the results were the same.

Song mode produced no sound to CB (or back to the moxf) when attempting an audio recording. Song mode produced sound to CB and back through the moxf when attempting MIDI recording, however the mixdown of the MIDI recording was again silent - the correct time length, just silent.

When I use audio recording, the input in the inspector box says ‘Stereo In’ and the output box says ‘Stereo Out’. I am unable to change either of these. When attempting to record MIDI the same boxes say ‘All MIDI In’ and ‘2 Yamaha…6/MOXF8-1’, and there are other selections available as well.

You once mentioned an Audio Interface Device. I’m wondering if (given the raft of problems I seem to be having) if this wouldn’t be a better way to go? I mean, I know that the moxf is putting sound out through the L/R speaker connections. If I have an AI box hooked up there, wouldn’t that ensure that the output from the moxf actually reaches CB in all cases, regardless of what mode I attempt to record? I guess what I am thinking is that there is some disagreement/disconnection between my moxf and Cubase, and the AI box would remove that.

Thanks again! I think I owe you enough beers to last about a year now…

You are probable watching the Midi activity meters, those are not audio meters.

1 Like

The problem here is that we told you already, MIDI is no sound, it’s just data that describes sound.
And your synth is producing the sound.

1 Like

Please read the MOXF User Manual, pages 53 to 56 very carefully.
(click here for the PDF)

I don’t think we’ll get anywhere until you explore how to set up your gear.
I know it’s difficult to troubleshoot people’s problems by text on a forum, since we’re not in front of your keyboard and computer, but it’s been 35 posts and we’re still at the starting point.
I gave a quick look into the MOXF manual and it explains the settings in every detail, so there’s no reason you can’t sort this out. :wink:

1 Like

Hi, Sorry to jump in here, but after scan reading this thread, it seems that as others have pointed out, you are still failing to grasp the difference between midi and audio. Perhaps this video will help - If not there are many other videos explaining the differences. This is a key area to grasp, and you will face many problems until you understand it. We have all had to learn this at some point.
Best of luck to you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

SurrealistBunny: You are incorrect. I completely understand the difference between MIDI and Audio, but thank you for the link and attempted help.

Louis_R: Those would be the exact pages of the manual I was researching today as noted in my post above. (And as noted in that post, comparing my current moxf setup with the required moxf setup in the manual results in no differences, as that is where I began this entire process.)

To all, I am beginning to suspect that my CB download could potentially have errors. I can come up with no other explanation for the problem. According to those here -and- the CB12 Elements manual, the CB setup is correct. According to the moxf8 manual and other documents/videos, the moxf8 setup is correct. It’s a lengthy re-download, but I think I am going to go that route, as it’s the only thing that makes sense right now.

And can’t you try in another software to see if the computer is correctly receiving the audio ? You blame it on Cubase but you didn’t even confirm if you could record in any other program, like Windows recorder, Audacity, etc…
Also is the sample rate the same in Cubase and the driver settings ? Normally it changes automatically to match Cubase but for some reason maybe it’s locked.
What version is the driver ? 2.1.1 or higher is known to have issues so you must remove and install 2.0.4 instead.

1 Like

Having just watched a couple of videos of Mox/Cubase users I think I would contact Yamaha’s support at this stage. It seems this device needs some setup by itself in order to transmit audio to Cubase properly. Even more than pp 53-58 in the manual.

1 Like

Okay, Sorry. My fault for just scan reading the thread. Hope you solve the problem soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like