No sound playing back

Okay, newbie here.

Vista Home premium Audiocontrols: playback > speakers; to record > CI 2
Steinberg CI 2 external soundcard: mic in input 1.
Cubase AI 5 recording software.

Recorded an accoustic guitar sample just to check if it works.

All the meters show activity while recording, I see a waveform in Cubase.

Unchecked the monitor, meters are active… but there is no sound while playing back.

Any suggestions?

Couple of things to check-

Check that you have the right ASIO driver (for the CI2) selected in Cubase VST Audio Sytem
Open the Cubase mixer (F3) and make sure the master channels are turned up
Check on the interface- on my Tascam unit there’s a knob to vary the output from “computer” to “input”- set it all the way to “computer”

Also make sure the VST connections are set up correctly.

Hi,

Thanks all for your answers. Just got in after a few on the road. Will try your suggestions tomorrow and report back here as soon as possible.

KR,Leo

Hi,

Okay,finally did it.

Check that you have the right ASIO driver (for the CI2) selected in Cubase VST Audio Sytem

VST Audio System > Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO

Open the Cubase mixer (F3) and make sure the master channels are turned up

Setting up the project I choose: accoustic guitar. There are three bars in the mixer:

guitar mic 1
guitar mic 2
FX 1 …rks SE

Opening the mixer it strikes me that none of the meters are 'moving

Check on the interface- on my Tascam unit there’s a knob to vary the output from “computer” to “input”- set it all the way to "computer’’

I use the CI 2 and don’t se a knob like that.

Also make sure the VST connections are set up correctly.

VST Connetions >
= Outputs > left: Steinberg CI 2 - 1; right: Steinberg CI 2 - 2
= Inputs > audio device: Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO; Stereo 1: left: Steinberg CI 2 - 1; right: Steinberg CI 2 - 2

Hopefully all this makes sense to you.

Thanks for further advice.

KR, Leo

In the first post you say the meters are active, in your last post you say they are inactive?

Also what are your speakers connected to?

Hi Split,

In the first post you say the meters are active, in your last post you say they are inactive?

In the last case I just checked the mixer not related to a specific project. Assume that is normal.

Also what are your speakers connected to?

Use the speakers of the computer. The level is set to 85%.

Hope this helps.

KR, Leo

Thats your problem. When you select the ASIO driver in cubase for your external sound card, all audio is now routed through that soundcard.

You will need to connect proper monitoring to the output of your external soundcard.

Hi Split,

That’s it: inserted headphones in my soundcard and heard my testfile loud and clear.

Does it mean I can hear it through my computerspeakers when I disconnect the soundcard? Will try that of course.

How do you set this up ‘normally’’?

KR, Leo

The best solution is to plug some powered speakers into the output of your external soundcard.

Thanks Split, your help is much appreciated.

KR, Leo