No sound when using Rode AI-1

Hi, I recently bought a couple of monitor speakers and a Rode AI-1 USB audio interphase. Installing the rode ai-1 was just a plug and play action for almost everything but Dorico. Unfortunately no sound I can hear when playback in Dorico or use the midi keyboard. The device setup (edit-device setup) is set to “RODE AI-1 ASIO” and there is no many options to play with, not also in the Rode control panel. Any help please…

From the screenshot it looks okay. Could you please choose from Dorico’s main menu Help > Create Diagnostic Report ?
That creates a zip file on your desktop, please attach it here to the thread. Thanks.

Here is the diagnostics zip file…
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (456 KB)

Hm, also from the diagnostics I can’t see anything unusual. You seemed to have changed at some stage the output ports to ‘Altavoces (Realtek High Definition)’ but then back to ‘Output L/R’ of the AI-1, so I would expect sound to come out there.

What if you open the Device Setup dialog? ‘Salida estereo’ has a dropdown list. If you click on the little arrow, are there any more items to choose from?

Also, what if you open the HALion Sonic SE editor window. Choose an empty slot and load the ‘YAMAHA S90ES Piano’ as sound patch and then click with the mouse on the on-screen keyboard at the bottom of that window? Does the editor window show any metering at the top of the window, a little to the right where the sound patch name is shown?
Furthermore, does the Dorico Mixer window show metering on all channels (especially the output channel) when you play back your piece?

The dropdown list for outputs have no additional options. Also in the other dropdown lists I don’t see nothing useful, but here it is what they shows

I tried adding the Yamaha but it didn’t work either. The only curious thing here is that the second wheel from the bottom left, that I think set volume, I can’t change it, it’s on the minimal value, if I roll it up it went down immediately.

…and this is what the mixer shows

help please…

Many thanks for all the screenshots, still I’m puzzled.
But one comment first, the second slider does different things for different sound patches. For the piano it has no function, that’s why it always slides down again.
That’s also the reason why I asked you to load the piano sound, because then you need no extra fiddling, sound shall come out straight away.

Still, I wonder why it does not do with you. Let’s do something really basic now:

• Create a new project from template, choose the solo / piano template.
  • Make sure that your Rode is selected as ASIO driver
  • Enter some arbitrary notes
  • Click the Play button to start playback

Does the green line move?
Does sound come out? Check for metering in the mixer window as well as the top middle of the HALion window.

I shall fall dead if it does not sound.

Should still no sound come out, please make another diagnostic report and send it to my funeral :wink:

I followed the instructions, create the new project with the solo piano template, checked the Rode as ASIO driver, I entered some random notes from my midi keyboard and when I pressed the playback button the green line moved across the score, the meter counts, but no sound at all. The HALion screen also looks like doing nothing.

I’m attaching the new diagnostic report…
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (425 KB)
I feel a little frustrated… I hope you find something

Thanks

Believe me, I’m also frustrated, and not only a little :wink:

And if you are in that test project and click with the mouse on the on-screen keyboard in the HALion window? Any indication of metering or sound coming out?
Also, the number left to the Mute and Solo button of YAMAHA S90ES shall light up with every MIDI note played back by Dorico, does it light up?

I had a look at the diagnostics, but could not see anything unusual there.

Can you please try something else?
First, select the Generic Low Latency Driver and the Altavoces as output ports. Sound does then come out of the loudspeakers, right?
Then, press ‘Panel di control del dispositivo’. In the new opening window, there is a control for the output ports.
There you should also see your Rode AI listed. If not, tick or untick the option at the top of that window (it says something like ‘Allow ASIO host to take exclusive control…’)
Make the Rode AI the output by check marking it at the front. Then close the window.
Now, this is important, there is a known bug that port changes are not immediately recognized. Therefore you have to close the current project and reopen it.
Then check again that in the ‘Configuracion del dispositivo’ your Rode is recognized as output port, it should say Output L, Output R.
If that is true and when you then play back, does sound come through the Rode?

No sound coming out when I press the on-screen keyboard with the mouse and nothing got light up either.

And that with the Generic Low Latency Driver?

Furthermore, is there actually anything coming through that Rode AI?
I mean, you can also set Windows sound properties so that Windows sounds and YouTube come through that interface. That works, right?

Yes, when I choose the Generic Low Latency Driver and the Altavoces as output port, sound came out. Nevertheless when I go to the device control settings, did not shows the Rode as an output port option even if I check and uncheck the box for allowing ASIO to take exclusive control…

And when I go back to Rode, no sound again.

And yes, sound is coming out from Rode when windows ding or when I play YouTube or IDAGIO or other streaming services.

Something else, I tried opening an old Finale version that I have and I got an error about Rode not letting Finale change sample rate to 44.1 kHz. I don’t know if this info is of any help.
Finale error.jpg

Hm, Finale is not using ASIO as driver, so this is not related.

What if you install ASIO4All (http://www.asio4all.org/), another free generic ASIO driver. Do you manage to get sound out via your Rode with that driver?

Do you have by chance a Cubase version installed? If not, will you be willing to install a Cubase Elements in order to cross check with that?
I can send you a trial license for that. The installation you can do similarly like Dorico through the Steinberg Download Assistant.

Yes!!.. the asio4all driver worked
…do I losing anything for going with this alternative driver?

anyway, I’m happy with the Rode working, and actually with my monitor speakers working with Dorico…

I don’t have Cubase installed. If you think it could help to do tests with Cubase I’ll be happy to do it

Oh, that’s good to hear. Would not guarantee it, but I think you should be just fine using that driver.
I propose that you use that for the time being and if you run into issues again, you raise your hand. Okay?

You might lose the option to reduce the latency to a level that gives you more bragging rights even if it’s irrelevant in real life. People tend to forget that if your loudspeakers are 10 feet away from your ears, that in itself gives you 10ms latency.

But something that works is always better than something that doesn’t work at all.

Thanks ulf for your help…

Thank you Rob… I think I’ll be fine…