No sound with playback

Hi there…

I recently got a TASCAM 1800 interface to connect to my laptop. Im using cubase LE as my current DAW.

As its all new to me, ive tried connecting up a keyboard to the interface to just record a “test run”…

Well FINALLY after more than a few failed attempts I finally got a reading on the mixer that cubase was picking up the signal from the keyboard. … This was a good sign… Also, I could hear keyboard in my headphones coming from the interface…

So away I went and pressed RECORD and played like a real amatue :smiley: r…

When I pressed play to listen back there was nothing… No sound… Interestingly, there was written waveforms on the cubase screen, but no sound…

Would someone please help me on this one…

Thankyou

Hello,

please be sure that you have setup the outputs correctly in Cubase. Do you have Cubase LE or Cubase LE 4 or 5 ?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris…

I have Cubase LE 5

Yeah im pretty sure I dont have the outputs set up properly, but I am not sure what they should even be because there was no instruction on how or what to do here…

Thanks

Dave

Hello Dave,

normaly there should a short setup guide included with cubase LE 5.

Please go in Cubase to devices → VST Connections and select here the output tab, and be sure that your audio device is seleted and the right outputs of your audio device.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris…

Yes the thing I dont understand is I have 16 input channels and ONLY 4 outputs…

So before I had the keyboard assigned to Input 11 (I knew this because it was in input 11 on the interface)…

But on the outputs, I have 4 outputs and im not sure which one its supposed to be assigned to. Is there a correct one?

Also, when I mic up my drum kit using channel imputs 1-8, how do I know what outputs should be used for each channel on vst connections. This is a mystery to me…

Thankyou for your patience…

Dave

You really should break out the Getting Started portion of the manual and go through the set-up steps one-by-one. Not understanding that you want to select the output your speakers are connected to really emphasises this.