I clicked on “More” with the “Prompt for project location” button ticked; clicked on “Empty”, etc, & named it “Default”. I made sure the correct ASIO Driver (MOTU Audio ASIO) was selected under VST Audio System. I know this ASIO driver/hardware setup works fine because I’ve created a couple of test Projects by importing .wav files and messing around with effects and such. Apparently, I’m missing something during “setup” because I can’t hear this old Alesis SR-16 drum machine. Here is how I’ve set things up.
- Create Project - ticked “Prompt for project location” - clicked “More” - “Empty” - “Create” - choose location folder, etc;
- Project - Project Setup - 44.1KHz & 24 Bit Res; Record File Type: Wave File: Volume Max: +6dB; HMT Type: None; HMT Depth: 100; OK.
- Studio - Studio Setup - VST Audio System: drop down menu select MOTU driver, Input Latency: 5.261ms; Output Latency: 8.730ms; ASIO-Guard Latency: 0.00ms; HW Sample Rate: 44.100 kHz; HW Pull Up/Down: Off; clk OK; changed “Processing Precision” from 64bit to 32bit (re-started system); checked “Activate Multi Processing”; ASIO-Guard Level is ticked “normal”; “Audio Priority” is set to Normal; “Activate Steinberg Audio Power Scheme” NOT checked; “Disk Preload” is set to “2”; “Adjust for Record Latency” is Checked; “Record Shift” is set to “0”.
- Studio- Audio Connections - Inputs tab - (R-clicked to remove stereo setup) - R-clicked on L-side (Mono In), highlighted “Add Bus” & clicked “Mono”–created all Mono Inputs 1 thru 8 (for MOTU); Outputs tab - Cubase already created “Stereo Output” for MOTU; OK.
- For Audio Connections (Inputs tab) I created Mono 1 thru Mono 8 corresponding to Analog 1 thru Analog 8. For Audio Connections (Outputs tab), Cubase automatically setup a Stereo Out configuration with Left corresponding to Analog 1-2 -1 and Right corresponding to Analog 1-2 -2. The MOTU Audio ASIO was shown under “Audio Device” for both the Inputs and Outputs tabs; OK.
- I R-clicked in blank arrangement window & selected “Add Audio Track”; I added 8 Tracks & named Track 3–“SR-16 L” & Track 4–“SR-16 R”; I ran cables (L & R) OUT of the SR-16 drum machine to channels IN 3 & 4 of the MOTU. I brought up the Lower Zone “Level Faders” & clicked the Record Enable & Monitor buttons for these two Tracks. Hit play on the drum machine & no sound. I get “activity lights” IN on the drum machine channels 3 & 4 & the meters for “Mono In 3” & Mono In 4" in the Lower Zone Faders are active; the SR-16 L & SR 16 R “Audio” Faders to the right in the Lower Zone Faders show no activity & the SR-16 L & SR 16 R Tracks in the arrangement window also show no activity.
What have I done wrong? Many thanks.