Noise from Dell Laptop Power Supply

I am using a Dell Precision 5520 Laptop that is in my home studio. When the computer is on and connected to its power supply all of my guitar amplifiers pick up some sort of interference that sounds like random pops and buzzes.The amplifiers are all in the same room as the laptop and are all on the same electrical circuit. It is pretty quiet (you can’t hear it when you are playing) but it is on all my amps (tube and solid state). The powered monitor speakers connected to a UR44 does not pick up the noise. I am pretty sure its the computer power supply because when you unplug it (running computer on battery only) or when the computer is turned off the noise does not occur. Any ideas on how to cure this problem? The power supply is usually plugged into a power surge bar. I tried it on a battery-operated UPS and that didn’t help.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

It’s quite obvious isn’t it? Your laptop’s power adapter is generating issues on your net. Try to connect it to socket that’s not in the same group or call Dell to replace it or ask for additional help? This issue is really out of scope for this forrum!

somehow my last post was “disapeared”…

shame… because it was serious post with some X-Mas spirit to lighten things up… ah well…

I will do some soothsaying then… tell me if my crystal ball is resonating with you… :

1. you are using the sound output from the laptop (laptop internal headphone out jack)
  2. dell offered to replace the motherboard (if it is a new laptop) - this will not help by the way… - neither will a new power supply…
  3. you are in europe or somewhere where your plug has 3 prongs (two prongs with one ground)

let me know how I am doing so far…

Ground loop problems can be mystical.

An article on the topic: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/index.html

If you’re using balanced lines from the UR44 to the powered speakers that would account for the speakers being quiet, as the noise has been ‘nulled out’.

One view is that the laptop is revealing the problem, not causing it.

I am pretty sure that this is a dell latitude/precision specific problem…

when i got mine way back when it had the exact same problem… my 90’s gateway was fine, my early 2000’s ibm thinkpad was fine, but my ca 2008 latitude/precision had this issue…

dell sent people to my place to exchange the mobo twice, sent me new power supplies and and and…

it was a stressy time until I found the solution myself… after many days/week of frustration…

maybe the op has solved it or so since he has not replied… idk… (just now saw that this post was a little older - sometimes I randomly answer posts while speeding by:P )