Noob question warning! - DOP and noise reduction plugins

I recently stepped up my game by finally upgrading from Nuendo 7, which, of course, among other exciting stuff opened up a whole new world of direct offline processing for me (and makes me a bit of a newbie in the realm of all the new features and functionalities).

Otherwise fantastic tool, however, I find using noise reduction plugins (Izotope RX7’s Spectral Denoise in my case, but there are plenty of plugins that follow similar logic) rather cumbersome with DOP, in comparison with the “old school way”.

In N7, in order to apply noise reduction to a whole audio event, I usually select a bit of plain noise and feed it to the plugin using the “learn” function, then select the whole bit of dialogue I need to do the noise reduction at, and apply the process. But how on earth do you do this with DOP? It just won’t work this way.

The only workaround seems to be going through RX Connect and do the aforementioned processing in the outside editor. It works but at the price of quite a few extra clicks and time-consuming fiddling between two programs.

So my question is - what am I missing? I guess DOP is meant to make our workflow easier and faster, but in this case it seems to be on the contrary, so it must be me rather than DOP :slight_smile:

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

I was exactly at the point you describe when DOP came up…In the end I did get used to go through “Connect”. It is a couple more clicks…the upside is: Once in Standalone you have different options to do your denoising. I use Dialog Isolate a lot. In Standalone you can easily compare what Dialog Isolate would do, what Denoiser with Lern, what Dialog Denoiser etc.
But yes, it is a reason why I tried Spectra Layers. The integration in Nuendo is or will be better.
Oswald

Yup, through Connect it seems to be from now on. As you described, this new workflow has its perks beside the obvious setbacks. I’m already starting to get used to it though :slight_smile:

One more offtopical question, too - my apologies for that.

What would be the purpose of the new “Apply” button in the fade dialog other than just unnecessarily adding one more mouse click to so far perfect functionality (when switching between fade curve types instantly applied it to the actual fade), especially considering that crossfade dialog has remained the same in that regard?

10.3 now retains the last instance of what you learn and simplifies this process. It was a hit or miss on versions of Nuendo between 7 to 10. So basically you open up the denoiser learn your clip, close and reopen on the entire section and it will remember what you learned. If you want to stay in Nuendo and not standalone

Thanks Timeline. I actually found the root of my issue. I was doing exactly what you described, but I didn’t notice that after “learning” and reopening De-Noiser, its “learn” button was still active, as opposed to the old-school way, when upon reopening it was already inactive.