Norwegian (or scandinavian) keyboard issues

Hi, I’m a Norwegian composer, working on a daily basis with notation software. I’ve been using Sibelius for several years, but now I’m trying to convert to Dorico (because it has so much better … everything).

But, and there’s a big one, I am having a really hard time trying to find the correct key commands for several things. I’m using Dorico 2.1.1, with the keyboard setting set to German keyboard (closest to Norwegian). Is there any smart workaround for me, because there is a lot not working?

For instance - and this is extremely irritating - it is by no means possible for me to make the triplet pop-over appear (actually, not even by pushing the triplet button…). The key command is supposed to be Ø, or German ö (same key). But nothing happens.

Any help concerning this issue, and/or the keyboard problem in general is most appreciated.

• Jan Martin Smørdal

EDIT - To clarify: I am able to create a conventional 3:2 tuplet. But I’m stuck with that, no chance of making a quintuplet for instance.

Hi Jan Martin,
This is a known issue, and it has been explained in this thread among others. I fixed it once and for all with a program called Ukulele, and it hasn’t bothered me since. I think that’s your best solution until the QT developers fixes the issue.

My key command layout is based on the English one, with a few modifications for articulations, accidentals and enharmonic respelling. I find it to work quite well on my Norwegian keyboard. Let me know if you want me to share it!

Jan Martin, the specific problem you’re having with the tuplet shortcut, I think, is that at the moment it only works in step-time input, i.e. when the caret is shown, in the German set of shortcuts. We recently fixed this and it will be sorted out in the next update, but in the meantime, if you’re feeling brave, you could replace the default keycommands_de.json file inside the Dorico application package in Contents/Resources/ with the attached one (unzip it first).
keycommands_de.json.zip (3.57 KB)

Hi Jan Martin!
I’ve get the tuplet popover by using semi-kolon (shift+komma) on my Norwegian keyboard. and it deaktivates by Kolon (shift+punktum).
Mvh
JonB

This is a very severe issue! It applies to other localizations as well : A Swiss German or Swiss French keyboard layout have little in common with Standard French or German Layouts. Laptop keyboard again might be different from full size keyboards. To my knowledge there is no such tool like Ukulele for Windows. Simple tasks as entering a flat or sharp accidental using + or - keys don’t work for me. Why does Dorico not rely on the standard keyboard mapping that Windows offers? I’m using Dorico on several computers und would need to enter custom short cuts on any of them - not funny at all!

Regards
Heinz, Switzerland…

You don’t need to apply the changes on every computer manually: once you have got shortcuts working as you like them on one machine, find the keycommands_de.json file (the two letter language code may be different for you, depending on what keyboard language you based your shortcuts on) in %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 2 and copy that file to the corresponding location on your other computers, and the shortcuts will apply on all of your machines.

I have changed a lot of the shortcuts, and made a danish keyboard in Photoshop.
In the keys (on the paper) is the lowest function without “shift” and the upper with a “shift” before the letter.
I can mail you a photo-shop (*.psd) file if you want to continue with it

This “paper” works perfect for me.
Med venlige hilsener
Arne Dich