Not being able to hide staves differently per flow is causing serious formatting issues!...

…that are bringing back bad memories of “previous” notation programs…One of the things I love about Dorico is the premise that Engraving Mode is separate from the note entry process, etc. so once something is set in Engraving Mode there’s no fear it will be auto-messed up by doing something else. However, I have to say that there are still to me some serious issues when adding significant amounts of text, as I currently have to do for a Broadway score I’m notating involving lots of rap lyrics. To make a long story short, I just spent a great deal of time (since Dorico wasn’t fully auto-adjusting to the block of every-4-bar system text I was adding to the score), painstakingly afterwards going through and using the Staff adjustment options in Engrave Mode to make it look PERFECT. However, because there was no way to show/hide blank staves for the NEXT flow I was writing, I temporarily UNHID staves so I could work, and then RE-hid them afterwards. At this point as I go back to the carefully, manually formatted previous flow, it’s now a royal mess, with the text basically all over the place. Bummer. I’m hoping that in the future there will be a way to:

• hide staves PER individual flow (which I presume has been talked about?), since the needs of each flow can obviously been quite different from one another, and:
  • have a way for Dorico to auto-adjust to accommodate large blocks of text more easily (short of having to create actual text frames for every single line of every-4-bar text)… Thanks for any further thoughts -
  • D.D.

To add to the above (and to be more specific), this is the kind of formatting issue I experienced and have to re-tweak, despite setting the music frame and margins appropriately - it feels like Dorico isn’t adequately adjusting formatting to logically accomodate those large blocks of text (which were originally inserted by selecting a whole rest at the beginning of each 4 bars, adding system text, and then moving in Engrave Mode as needed to tweak):

At the least, shouldn’t hiding and then unhiding empty bars (in order to work on a different flow) NOT have an effect on THIS flow? Shouldn’t Dorico remember the choices I made when I go back to hiding bars, since I didn’t touch the Flow at all other than to unhide/hide bars working on a different flow?
Best -

• D.D.

Staff spacing adjustments are locked to the page, not the system itself.

So if you make a bunch of adjustments on page 14, then show/hide staves in a previous flow so that your adjusted staves end up on page 12 or 17, you lose the adjustments, EVEN if you then re-hide/show staves and your material lands back on page 14. I’ve been tripped up by this a few times, generally when adding a flow in the middle of a project.

On the other hand, you’re fiddling with hidden staves for a practical reason, and there’s a practical solution to this: don’t unhide hidden staves; switch to galley view to start entering notes in the next flow.

Perhaps the best solution would be to adopt Lin-Manuel Miranda’s method of notating rap lyrics and letting the performer riff on that.

I’m curious what his method is! Funny because one of the people I’m copying the part for was one of the more recent Hamilton leads (!)…
D.D.

That is an EXCELLENT suggestion - thank you!
D.D.

Lin-Manuel Miranda writes out the rhythm.

Ah! I’ve actually been instructed not to do this because the raps in this case are less consistently defined rhythmically (hence the need to use staff text every 4 bars, unfortunately!)

• D.D.

You could create a “layout” for each flow. This would allow you the more granular control you are looking for, albeit a workaround. Just assign the instruments you need and limit the layout to one particular flow. Add a new layout specific to each flow.

He’s not looking for granular control, as far as I’m aware - just for a way to start typing notes into the next (empty) flow. The solution is Galley view…

Ah. You’re right. I misread the first post.

I just wish D.D. would stop quoting entire messages in his post, especially when his reply follows directly.

I thought the convention was to quote the portion of the message you were responding to so people understood the context (especially if later stumbling across it via Google search, etc.) - but correct me if I’m wrong…(though note I didn’t quote you THIS time :slight_smile:)…
Best -
D.D.

Thank you. :wink: