Not Lovin' Cubase 10 So Far: It's The Little Things

-Annual request

-Annual request

-Annual request

-Annual request

Hmmm, :frowning:

Assuming still no triplet division grid? – annual request. No spacing improvements – annual request

-Annual request/suggestion

They do get lots right. I can’t say that there’s been less than noticeable improvements with each version, known (and unknown) issues notwithstanding or minimized. I do agree on lots of the things you have suggested should be done. I’ve not downloaded the new version yet. I like the looks of it on the screen. The new channel strip looks great. (GA5 looks nice, etc). I’ll check the PDF file to see more details about what’s been done. Thanks for your post.

All this is true. And worse!

+1

I like the update so far and it’s been 100% solid. My only gripe is they still haven’t allowed organizing favourites in the Mediabay and sidebar by alphabetizing.

I have to ask why they had the redesign the right-click context menu tools - it is a workflow thing and it’s really annoying! The icons themselves seem to have been re-drawn and for what? The eraser is annoying me the most!

They are not getting any more money from me unless ALL of those age old issues have been addressed.

It’s highly unlikely that they will fix ALL those age old issues. While I believe Steinberg is trying to go in a new (and honestly pretty darn good) direction with Cubsase 10 – it’s really impressed me so far and I give them kudos overall for Cubase 10 – I also think it’s hoping for too much that they’d address ALL the old issues. And honestly, some of those age old issues are probably so embedded and difficult to fix, they might break 10 other things while trying to fix 1.

But I totally understand not wanting to give them any more money until/unless you are satisfied of course. Steinberg needs to know that there are plenty of customers that are still not convinced of their recent efforts. I was in the same position just a short while ago. But Cubase 10, for me, gave me some hope that Steinberg is listening, and I think it’s the best update in a long time. The balance of features and development decisions overall are just plain excellent IMO. It remains to be seen if they can patch up the new issues quickly though! So I’m cautiously optimistic, but also a realist. :slight_smile:

Are you actually a Steinberg employee or are you working for them on a freelance basis? And please spare me the bs, it’s all to obviously going through your past posts. No offence though, I’d probably do the same if it was up to me.

It’s out of question actually, as SB’s business model is to practically coerce customers into buying updates, hoping they’d address vintage issues. Add the lack of documentation to that voilà. There’s no other reasonable explanation for actively maintaining inconsistencies, like making pointless changes to the UI.

I think the design changes of C10 are not bad. It has become more modern and simple, and it does not look old or tough anymore. I feel like a spaceship pilot. :sunglasses:
The claim that design changes in C10 make the popularity go away is hard to agree. Cubase was so classic, and many new generations around me did not choose the DAW that looked old. C10 seems to be prepared to accept new generations in this respect.
The reason people stay in ProTools is not because of it’s old design!

It might be because they have spent so much on hardware they have too much invested to jump ship. I mean why else would anyone want to look at such boring design?

I think this update has been interesting visually. My problem is the decisions that have been made about what to change and what to keep. I am not sure that not consulting users is a mistake. For instance why has the high/low pass filter gone from the channel strip? the right click issue has upset many users - including me. That said there is a lot to like and I will adapt. Let’s hope that Steinberg adapts to the users complaints.

1. The skinny scroll bars? Still there.

Haha, the scbs are way too tiny, I couldn’t agree more. They drive me crazy every single day. Seems like the devs feel a “needle in a haystack” is a good thing! I definitely believe they hinder my workflow (both in the mix console and the project window). No one needs a bratwurst in Cubase, understood, but if Steinberg can add a few more pixels in strength, that would help our workflow. Or, keep the size as is and widen the “catch zone” or the area in which you can click to grap hold of the bar.

Also, when you zoom in within the project window the scbs (skinny scroll bars) are way to sensitive. Ever tried using the scbs when zoomed in? It’s like going downhill from the top of a mountain on a unicycle… Its very difficult to go were you want using the scbs in a zoomed state. I actually try to avoid using them and find myself doing all sorts of unconventional things just to try to go back and forwards. Definitely not ideal. It would be better, if the devs could reduce the scbs sensitivity proportionally to the zoom level!

The faint color of highlighted channels / tracks in the mix console is something I would add on your list, if that hasn’t been changed in C10. When I highlight a track in the project windows, it always takes a couple of scrolls in either direction in the mix console before I find the corresponding channel / track there. The highlight color is too faint. I understand its all part of the trend in dark themes, but the principle of “form follows function” should always override theme color concerns. If its the other way around, it hinders the workflow (both for the scbs and highlight brightness).

Also, the fact that some windows (editor / media bay) keep disappearing on me when I click back into the project window… that really gets me going every time!

That said, haven’t upgraded yet (waiting until the first maintenance updates) but from what I can see on Youtube so far, I do really like the new UI. The buttons seem brighter and more visible then before.

Would you post a screen shot of the new right click menu? What’s new, what’s changed about it?

Even with the somewhat negative and very negative comments about this new version, having looked the Pro 10 update I know it will soon be installed here along with, I hope, some other items.

If someone doesn’t like the new version, stay with the current version. If I had had no way to update from Version Pro 8 to Pro 9.5.41 I’d have been happy using Pro 8 for years – given equipment compatibility, etc. Each new update has provided noticeable improvements and interesting new features. I’m sure Pro 10 will as well. I find the company to be responsive to user input, YMMV. I’m glad they provide these forums – for free. IMHO, Cubase offers a lot of value for the money.

Well atleast cubase is finally catching up to other DAWs like PreSonus, Reaper and Logic.
Cubase was way behind in previous versions

As far as I understand, the new right click menu is context sensitive. That’s actually a good think. Less clutter and more focus. It will change, depending on the task your about to handle. In the long run, this is probably the right decision made by Steinberg. Might take a little getting used to though…

This weird panning mode… what the hell is it and how do I get rid of it?!!

Check in your Studio → Audio Connections whether you have any Inputs, Outputs, Groups etc. with more than a Stereo Configuration (LRCS, 5.0, 5.1 etc.).

The scroll bars are thinner than the hurricane white frames of the sections.

I believe that this interface is made in a closed laboratory and without communications with the outside. The chief designer is sitting on his idea and is certain that users will get used to his decisions. But beware: users are not amateurs. We have to decide, and we can not do everything, but the serious consensus of the clientele should have some weight.

Ironically, in the past these bars were good and they had to waste some time and money to destroy them.

After rebuilding my PC with a clean install of 1809 and Cubase 10, it looks a bit better for some reason, maybe I just getting used to it? But anyway, I have decided it’s not all that bad, there are a few inconsistencies, would like to see the last remain plugins updated, the Audio Fades box updated, I guess that will come with 10.5

As for the scroll bars, for a blind old guy with a hi dpi monitor I rarely miss grabbing them. I’m surprised others have problems, maybe its years I spent playing Quake and actually I’m a ninja mouse master who knows…. :blush: