Not totally getting file mgmt yet...

I think I see the design with this new intricate file management hierarchy, but I’m starting to wonder…

1. There must be 1 file group at all times?

2. The purpose of groups is to sort files by workspace type, or is it also intended to be used with (user) criteria?

3. How are files in these groups managed? I can see them in the Project Manager, but can’t move them between groups or do anything useful with them.

4. Files can’t be added to a project unless they’re open? I haven’t found a way to add them to the Proj Mangmt window unless they’re already open.

I also can’t seem to find any of this in the manual- maybe I’m missing it, or maybe it’s missing it.

Thanks,
Brian

1. Not sure what you mean here. You can have multiple file groups, but only 1 active at a time.

2. The purpose it to organize “as you like” the most freely possible. This could be by file type (there is a file type setting per tab group, as you might have seen). Or file groups can be used as sub-projects (a given file group can host any file type).

Each file group can have one or more tab groups, to display more than one file at a time.

1. You can move them from file group to file group by Drag and Drop.

2. You can drag/drop from any file browser to the Project Manager window.

I also can’t seem to find any of this in the manual

There is a whole chapter in the manual. In the english PDF, this starts page 70. “Project Handling”

Hi,

1. Sure- but can a project have 0 file groups? If you don’t want to deal with the extra layer of hierarchy and tabs?

2. Got it.

3. But not within the Project Manager, right? To me, this was the intuitive way to see what’s where and organize, without juggling around with the tabs, themselves in the editor (although the drag-and-drop option can be useful).

4. OK, I see. But when I drag from File Manager into Project Manager, appears to put it in an arbitrary tab? I think that’s what I’m seeing.

Yes, I read the manual chapters on Projects and File Groups a couple of times, and found them to be rather incomplete-- thus, my question here.

Many Thanks,
Brian

1. At least 1 file group is required. If you always want to deal with 1 file group, you can hide the file group tab bar.

2. Currently not possible, but you are right, this should be made possible.

3. I suggest to do like this:
    Drag to the desired file group tab and wait for it to get activated. Then drop the file above the file tab you want to insert at.

Ah, OK- I thought I tried to get 4) to happen, but maybe didn’t hold long enough.

One more thing: Can a tool be in more than 1 area? For example, the level meter in a control window, as well as a sidebar in the editor? That’d be useful, but I couldn’t get it to happen.

Can a tool be in more than 1 area? For example, the level meter in a control window, as well as a sidebar in the editor? That’d be useful, but I couldn’t get it to happen.

No, not at the same time. No duplicate tool windows.

Related to this: Does the File Mgr not refresh itself? I have a project + tab groups, create a new montage from auto-splitting some audio files, and want to move that montage to a different tab group. If the way to do this is to drag the Montage from the File Mgr to the tab group, the newly-created Montage has to appear in the File Mgr– I’m not seeing it there (but confirmed it is in the Finder)…

Note sure what you mean. The Project view should always match the Tabs. Move a file tab to another File Group tab, and the project view updates.

Right. but my question is when a new file is created-- for example, a montage generated from auto-split-- it isn’t appearing in the File Mgr…

Ok, I will check.