Notating a lip bend

Maybe someone can help me out here, if there is a way to do this. This is a sax part and I would like to tie this highlighted D natural to the next dotted quarter D. First of all I think I need to force the duration of the dotted quarter. Over the duration of the note I want the player to bend the note downward and bring it back up to pitch at the dotted quarter. I am entering the text to let the player know what to do and add some sort of notation, if there is one connecting the two D’s. So I am looking for a symbol so that I won’t have to enter the text for every occurrence, although I can see I may have to force durations whenever this happens. I hope this makes sense.

On your RH zone, under the Remove button, there are four symbols. I’d add the one on the left (that looks like U) above the note.

Or

In the Lines Panel, you’ll find a V-shaped line (guitar bend?) which you could add from the very first note to the last note. And maybe even just tie over the bar to a dotted minim?

Or (I just thought)

If you know the range of the bend, and the rhythmic position you want it to be, you could just write two gliss with the “lip bend” label you already have.

That’s all I’ve got!

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I have been considering using the guitar bend I accidentally found. I haven’t tried it yet, but I was thinking about moving its position in engrave mode and placing it between the two notes. That’s how I indicated the bend in my handwritten score thirty years ago.

Trying to be creative, I came up with this. I made a slur between the two notes and then flipped the slur in engrave mode. It’s going to be a lot of work in the end with the number of bends I have, but I think it will be worth it until something better comes along like a freehand line drawing tool.

A slur is a slur and not a line for glissandi/bends. Performing artists will probably not understand this notation.
Creating your own line is easy enough in Dorico, as well as using the existing ones. You can set the line to be from notehead to notehead, so it will always be attached at the right height.

1 Like

From the US Army Field Band article "Interpretation of Jazz Band Literature by Sergeant Major John Brye
bends

2 Likes

Thanks Ed. Those symbols will come into use for the many short bends in the music. For the long bends I am using the advice suggested by DanielMuzMurray above. I worked that out this afternoon with a friend who, on occasion, helps me with the program and well he should because I purchased it on his advice.

1 Like