Notating Mark Tree, Bell tree, ... in Dorico 5

I know there are already a couple of topics related to Mark Tree notation on a 5-line staff. I am just wondering if the new Instrument Editor would offer some help here?

The goal that I (we) want to achieve is to have something that looks like this:
I know it can be achieved by using a different instrument (like in this example Glockenspiel), changing the instrument name, though not quite sure about playback.

Problem is that I don’t see any option to combine this into a kit, for example with the bass drum as mentioned in the first screenshot.

I’d have tried for myself before posting but since the Dorico 5 PRO Trial isn’t available yet (and I’m a humble Elements user) I can’t just now.

Something like this?

Jesper

MT+BD.dorico (500.3 KB)

1 Like

Opening the file in D4 Elements I get a lot of warnings about different version. But it looks like you create two Mark Tree instruments, placed them in a kit on different lines, then put a horizontal line between them?
Then the Mark Tree is still on a 1-line staff and it’s not really a glissando between the notes.

I’m a bit hesitant about this methodology because it makes it very impractical (or even impossible) to notate in the single-line view. Which in fact is/was one of the things I like about Dorico so much!

How would a Mark Tree glissando between two different notes look in a single-line view?

I don’t think there is a good way to do exactly what you want with the current limitations in Dorico’s percussion notation.
Maybe write the Mark Tree like this. It’s still clear what to play and I’m not sure L.V. is needed. Mark Tree is tricky to dampen anyway without making a lot of noise. I used the Jazz Doit since gliss doesn’t work for percussion.

Jesper

Or like this with a Jazz Lift:

1 Like

What I meant is that if we have two mark tree (on different lines) in 5-line staff, then they would be on two lines in single-line view. So notating a “glissando” (would be a horizontal line because a real glissando is not possible), I don’t even know if that will work. It will look very weird anyway.

Thank you for your suggestions!
L.V. in my opinion can be of value to indicate that the glissando can be spread over the full length of the notated notes (2 quarter notes in my example).
When it’s not notated like that I’d probably make the glissando shorter (only the 4th beat of the first measure in the example) so that most of the tingling is done before the second beat of the next bar.
But that’s more a matter of interpretation I guess :slight_smile:

Anyways, to get back to my original question. It doesn’t look like the instrument editor will be any help here because of the limitations of percussion notation (only single-line instruments allowed).

No help from the Instrument editor for percussion afaik.

Jesper

1 Like

Have you thought of using an arpeggio articulation instead? One can use it on any number of staff lines and stretch it in Engrave mode to appear as one wishes.

They don’t work on percussion staves, Same as lines.

Jesper

I just did it on a single line staff Mark Tree.

markTree

2 Likes

Hm, strange, I couldn’t

Jesper

Choose the note; then apply the arpeggio from the Trill menu. I then stretched it out some.

1 Like

That’s what I did.
Actually Lines works also, just not attached to a note
Jesper

Ah, it works in single staff view, not in grid.

Jesper

That’s precisely how I’ve notated it in my own scores. Works perfectly.