Note grouping question for 7/4 meter

I have this tune in 7/4. The composer wants to write it so there are 7 groups of 8th notes.

It’s a longish piece and there should be a way to get this spacing through the time signature? I get to this: [2+1+1+1+1+1]/4 which produces this:

But when I want this: [1+1+1+1+1+1+1]/4 Dorico gives me this:

Is there a trick I am missing?

Have you played with the Notation options (providing you’re using Pro)? I find that [1+1+1+1+1+1+1]/4 and notation options as pictured give me the expected result.

2 Likes

If you cant find a good combination in the meter popover that gives you the results you want, perhaps it would be easier to enter the rhythm once, duplicate that measure as many times as needed, and then go back with “lock to duration” turned on and re-enter the pitches. This method of working is very fast [if you have a midi keyboard attached].

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I have done re-entry with lock-to-duration. In this case the piece is already done - except that the author wants to change the beaming. It may end up a manual redo, since she also wants parts of the melody to be beamed independently. BTW, this is all so the drummer doesn’t by default fall into a 3+4 or 4+3 pattern. Originally this was in 7/8.

1 Like

Pardon me, but what’s wrong with the solution I sent?

Sorry, MarcLarcher
There is nothing wrong with your solution at all. I didn’t take into consideration the different beaming in the treble clef staff in my first post. Your suggestion does exactly what I asked for. In the end it was quicker to set all 7/4 measures to something close like [2+1+1+1+1+1]/4, but keep the overall beaming preferences - the B-section goes into pretty standard 4/4.