Note groupings in 6/8

Hey guys, I have just imported a music XML file into dorico, and have the following note grouping coming up quite a bit:

Is there a way to get the tied notes to appear as a quaver without having to manually edit them all? I couldn’t see a setting for that particular situation, but I might have missed it.

Also, there is a bit of this weird beam behaviour going on:

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.56.08 pm

Any idea what could be causing that over hanging beam, and how to fix it? It happens in a few places throughout the score.

Many thanks!

Jared

As it’s an XML import, I’d recommend selecting everything and choosing Edit > Beaming > Reset Beaming just to be sure (unless there’s specific beaming choices you really want to keep). It might also be worth making sure notes don’t have Force Duration activated (the clamp icon in the Notes toolbox on the left in Write mode).

I think the tied semiquavers in 6/8 is expected - I’m not sure there’s a default to get dotted quaver - quaver - semiquaver. It’s a little bit of work, but you can select all the tied semiquavers, press O, then 4 then 5 to force them all to be quavers.

Thanks @Lillie_Harris, I really appreciate your response - both suggestions were great (although the 2nd not as automated as I’d hoped!). Cheers!

Wondering if Dorico 5 has improved this?

I’m in 6/8, and it’s giving me a very weird note grouping (especially on the 2nd beat):
ex1

I would prefer this to happen globally:
ex2

Is this imported XML?

No, sorry, I should have clarified.

Is everything in Notation Options as you would wish it? And no Force Duration?

I looked through Notation Options, but couldn’t find what I needed. I probably missed something…

I made sure Force Duration was only used for my 2nd example.

I think Dorico is trying to ensure that two out of three divisions in each of the compound beats is being shown. There’s no option to change this by default.

1 Like

If you have lots of this pattern and can’t fix it with options, it’s often quickest to force duration on one, then copy/paste it, and re-pitch using lock duration (L) wherever else it is needed.

1 Like

My preferred way does show two out of three subdivisions per beat, and is much more legible to my eyes at least (especially for the 2nd beat, which without Force Duration looks ludicrous).

Perhaps a new feature for Dorico 6? :star_struck: