Note input mode: default note duration

When going into note input mode the note duration always returns to a quarter note. Can this be changed somewere? I’m working on a piece with predominantly eight-notes, so would like to make that the default when entering note input mode.

2 Likes

No, but if a eighth rest is selected, it should select eighth as a duration. Otherwise, the number 5 is your friend.

Friendship with 5 has potential to become a strain on our relationship ;o)

2 Likes

I had a very similar question as my music seems to be very quavery, so I am always having to ‘Esc’ out and edit a crotchet to a quaver. I have experimented with using K, ‘duration after pitch’. But what I would really like is a variant on K where the duration suggested (temporary default?) is the duration of the last note entered, unless you select a different duration (in which case I guess this could become the temporary default.

Short of that, or even as an additional productivity feature in parallel, if I have entered a time signature with the quaver as the denominator, could this set the quaver as the default duration, even if I have ‘duration before pitch’ entered?

Maybe these are stupid questions but I have been using Dorico for over a year now and still frustrated with this, when so many other things work for me like a breeze!

A slightly quicker way to fix a crotchet when you meant a quaver is 5 to go back a quaver and then just continue with the next note.

But you’re certainly not the only user wishing for this. By now I know it defaults to a crotchet unless I’ve selected another value when I show the caret. The idea of {last used duration if no value selected} seems useful. On the other hand, as a default behavior it would likely confound many users who are used to it the way it is.

@dspreadbury, is this even possible? And if so, could it be made a preference?