Note name display in key editor

In our sister Cubase, you can see the note name on the bar representing the note. This is very useful. So far in Dorico 4.0.30 I don’t see this. Is it an option, and if not could it be a feature request?

I find that so much easier than having to refer to the keyboard to figure out the note. And isn’t Dorico supposed to be moving closer to Cubase over time(hopefully!)?

3 Likes

This is not related to your post, but you really should update to 4.0.31. (4.0.30 lasted 24hours)
And I agree it could be useful.

Slip of the keyboard. I am on 4.0.31.

1 Like

Yes, we would like to add this at some point. I agree it would definitely be helpful.

3 Likes

Unfortunately this feature is not included in Dorico’s latest version 4.3. Maybe in the next one?
I do have to say, v4.3 is absolutely spectacular! Thank you so much

1 Like

It’s certainly still on our backlog as something we would like to add.

2 Likes

piano roll with a staff
How about something like this in the KEY Editor?

Complex. I often have say two bass clefs for piano or two treble clefs, or octave clefs and so on, or bass and treble swapped. That seems hard. I think just having notes names would be great.

You have the note names in the inspector field (bottom left) when you select the notes… Granted, they could appear in their rectangular shape.
I think it could be a good idea to have those clefs showing (not that design!), so that you know where you are in a small window configuration

Yes but how do you deal with say two bass clefs - the notes overlap? And the whole idea of my OP was to have the names in the notes, just like Cubase. So much nicer.

I don’t think those clefs match any of the ones you put in your score. They’re simply there to tell you where you are vertically in the key editor!

Better then to put clefs (perhaps semi-opaque) on the keyboard diagram on either side of the note (C4) designated as middle-C to allow more space for “notes” on the grid.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I just accidently saw that the note display feature has been implemented!! Dorico team is amazing!

Wow. What I was asking for. Yay!

Such a great user-reponsive company, Steinberg. And long awaited Halion 7 today also, and I see Dorico has Halion Sonic 7.

A large thank you from Australia!

1 Like