Note position in chord stack

Dorico’s default note stacking in chords is the first chord here, and the second chord is my workaround for a project I’m working on (transcribing some old piano rep - but trying to match the old edition as far as possible).

I think the answer is probably “not possible” (yet…?), but does anyone know of a way to move note ‘columns’ so this can be done without two voices? I actually find the second one easier to read [with top and bottom note of chord in same column – this was standard Novello publisher practice in early C20th]
[crossposted from Facebook}
Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 10.38.39

One way to achieve what you want is to create two new notehead sets, one for left noteheads and one for right noteheads:

Assuming you are using Bravura as the music font and the larger noteheads, the left notehead set has a new notehead consisting of a space (U+20) followed by noteheadBlackOversized (U+F4BE) with the X-offset of the notehead glyph set to -6.00, and the right notehead set has a new notehead consisting of a space followed by noteheadBlackOversized with the X-offset of the notehead glyph set to 5.30. Then change the G to use the left notehead set and the F to use the right notehead set.

3 Likes

Thanks, I wondered if noteheads might be a solution, but this will be my first foray into notehead editor. Once I’ve done that I might even be able to record a rudimentary script to semi-automate the process. Wish me luck…

2 Likes

I’ve seen it in Durand piano music too, probably copying the composer’s MS literally. It always looks sort of wrong to me.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s my age, but I find the first perfect and immediate to read, the second quite cumbersome…:wink:
Something like grasping your right ear with your left hand passing over the head… (this isn’t’ mine but by the famous architect Mies van der Rohe to one of his students who presented a cumbersome project…)

3 Likes

I think it is only fair to point out that although my proposed solution using notehead sets does work for the case given in the original post, further testing indicates it is not a general solution for moving black noteheads to the opposite side of the stem. At this point, I don’t know why the notehead sets work in some cases but not in others.

Unfortunately the column position in Engrave mode works only for different voices… (and using different voices requires some manual adjustments)