Note Spacing Suggestions/Request

I hate to do this, as I have been very careful note to do this often, but there was one part of Sibelius I really liked, and that what I believed was known as “optical spacing” feature that came around in vs 5 or 6. If I recall correctly, it would evenly space notes out, especially when you had a tuplet against a non-tuplet rhythm.

Are there plans to work towards something similar? Here is an example, that has extra space in the rhythm that isn’t necessarily needed when looking at the score. This might be a bad example, but it somewhat illustrates what I am talking about.

Robby

Does this example really look better in Sibelius without taking up a lot more horizontal space?

David

Sibelius wouldn’t have handled that situation any differently than Dorico does. In general it’s a difficult problem to solve because reasonable people will disagree about the way to handle the unevenness there and how far it should be redistributed. The tools provided in Dorico 1.1 will make it easy for you to perform whatever kinds of adjustments you think are best, but I’m not sure there’s anything much we can do to make an improvement in that kind of situation that wouldn’t generally make Dorico’s spacing looser and therefore less good overall.

It all makes sense. I have been thinking a lot about it since I made the original post. And it isn’t that great of an example. And further more, I agree that there is very little that can be done in this example.

You reasoning is sound, and very much appreciated.

Robby