Noteheads side by side instead of vertically stacking chords


I’m trying to recreate this gliss effect in the strings from J.W.'s “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” suite. How do I get the whole notes to stack side by side instead of on top of each other?

In addition, I made a new line for a thicker glissando line, and attached it to the note heads, was this a good approach or does anyone have a better solution if there is one?


Put the notes in different voices and set the Voice Column Index via the Properties Panel in Engrave mode.

1 Like

Ty Craig! I’m so close, just trying to figure out how to get the accidentals to attach to the noteheads. It seems 1 automatically went to it, but the other two are stuck on the side?

I tried messing with Accidental column but that didn’t seem to help as I hoped.

The other thing you could maybe try is keeping the notes in one voice but making them some sort of grace notes or even a tuplet? You would have to hide stems/ratios but it might do the job?

1 Like

I’m not sure how to best address this. I would think the accidental would track the voice column index of the note. You can use the Accidental X offset property but, that would need to be adjusted if note spacing changed.

1 Like

You can get the accidentals to stay with the notes by putting them in different voices and starting each note at a different rhythmic position:


In this example, the second note starts after a 64th rest and is inside a hidden 32:31z tuplet, the third note starts after a 32nd rest and is inside a hidden 32:30z tuplet, and so on. Then select the rests and remove them.


Hi DMDComposer, A real coincidence I just received the score yesterday and was putting the first page in Dorico. The clusters in the first 4 bars already require some very creative work both to get playback and the score correct.

Did you also interpret that each player, e.g. 10 for the 1st violins, have there own pitch to play during these 4 bars with a bow change at each bar.? I am just not sure if e.g. all 10 (6+4) 1st violins start playing their designated pitch at the same time or if they start one whole note duration apart (as it is notated).

I experimented a bit using divisi and then condensing as this would probably give the best playback.

As Dorico cannot condense single players (soloists) I had to use sections for what in reality would be a single players. In this manner you do get all the accidentals with the note as in the score. The screenshot shows a result for bar 14-17 for 1st Violins, section 1.

The problem now is that the 6 players start a glissando on 3 notes in bar 14 end on 3 notes in bar 15 but in 16 they all end on different notes and the glissando ends in bar 17 also on 6 different notes. So in bar 14 and 15 you see 2x3 notes with doubles

I played around with the order of the 3 notes in the 6 players and for some combinations you get a surprising condensing problem. Suddenly the 6 lines split in 2 but the at least in this combination the doubles are gone. With different note order (6 notes x 4 bars so a lot of possible combinations), you get all sort of variants like the first or second screenshot sometimes with and sometimes without doubles.

If someone knows how to solve this condensing issue and why you sometimes get 6 notes with 3 doubles and why as in the second screen shot you don’t that would be welcome.