Noteperformer 3.3.2 Updated

NotePerformer 3.3.2

Fixed problem with “always tenuto” not working
The switch for turning on tenuto permanently (CC #108, value 1) didn’t work as expected. The bug was fixed.

In Dorico on Windows, there’s no longer a bug where NotePerformer could put the Steinberg ASIO driver into a state of malfunction
Due to a bug in NotePerformer, the ASIO driver for Dorico could be sent into a state of malfunction, producing only a strange “carpet of sound” during playback. The bug was fixed.
In Finale, percussion sounds in the lowest octave now work
Sounds in the lowest octave of the orchestral percussion map wouldn’t trigger, because they collided with the key switches. The problem was fixed.

In Sibelius, strings and woodwinds now ignore “let ring”
Strings and woodwinds no longer respond to sustain pedal messages. This could previously trigger a never-ending build up of sound, when writing “let ring” in Sibelius. This is a relatively common technique for contrabass pizzicato.
The problem doesn’t apply to Finale or Dorico, because these notation programs don’t automatically respond to “let ring” (sustain pedal down). When they are manually setup to send a sustain pedal event, the fix will naturally apply also to these notation programs.

Log files now rotate
To make it easier for us to track down bugs during startup of notation programs, NotePerformer now rotates older log files. The files are in order (starting with the most recent log file)
NotePerformer64.log
NotePerformer64.log.1
NotePerformer64.log.2
NotePerformer64.log.3

Dorico 3.5-specific expression map was added
Our expression map was updated to take advantage of some of the new features in Dorico 3.5, and the installer was updated to reflect these version changes.

Exclusion groups for hi-hat was fixed
When updating the drum sets to General MIDI mapping, in a previous version, the exclusion groups for hi-hat closed/open where damaged, such that the closed hi-hat would no longer terminate the open hi-hat sound. The problem was fixed.
Triangle round robin repeat speed was tweaked
When playing triangle strokes, the instrument no longer rotates between left/right strokes unless there’s a very fast repeat.
In Finale, Dynamics for mandolin and banjo now works
Mandolin and banjo did not respond to dynamics in Finale. This discrepancy was corrected for.

The “bowed marimba” mixer override now works, also in Finale & Dorico
The marimba (bowed) override used to set the bowed xylophone program, rather than the bowed marimba (the problem did not apply to Sibelius, where sounds are assigned from the Sibelius mixer). The problem was fixed.

In Finale & Dorico, the bowed xylophone is now the fallback sound for the glass harmonica
NotePerformer will now automatically fallback to the bowed xylophone sound, when picking the glass harmonica instrument in Finale or Dorico.
(In Sibelius, the fallback sounds are determined by Sibelius. In order to achieve the same thing in Sibelius, the bowed xylophone sound needs to be manually assigned from the Sibelius mixer.)

In Finale,“custom XX” percussion sounds now have names
Unpitched percussion sounds in NotePerformer, which don’t have a natural mapping in Finale, are configured to use the Custom 1, Custom 2, … sound slots. These sound slots have now also been supplemented with custom names in Finale, making them easier to utilize in practice.

Fixed bug with long notes during MIDI input
During MIDI keyboard input, notes would sometimes playback longer than expected. The problem was fixed.

In Dorico, “dead notes” for guitar are now mapped
In Dorico, guitar notes set to the “dead note” technique (X notehead) are now performed as a muted note.

In Dorico 3.5, jazz articulations are now mapped
Starting from Dorico 3.5, jazz articulations should now play back.

Finger cymbals “open stroke” sound was added
An “open” finger cymbals sound was added to the percussion map, on MIDI NOTE 111.
In Sibelius, the standard finger cymbal is now the open stroke. The muted sound requires manual mapping.
In Finale, the standard finger cymbal is now the open stroke. The muted sound was mapped to the “Finger Cymbals Muted Clap” type in Finale.
In Dorico, the “Natural” technique is now the open stroke. The muted sound was mapped to the “Muted” technique.
Fixed trill playback for woodwinds and brass in Sibelius
In Sibelius, wind instruments wouldn’t always perform trills in a slurred fashion. This problem was resolved by an update to the Sound Set.

Does anybody know what the workaround is for the standard tenuto on?

Good software. Terrible website. There is practically no information about their products. At minimum, I’d expect release notes. Does anybody know what is in version 3.3.2?

there has just been a post telling you all the new features which was in turned copied exactly from the website. This is the readme for when you come to download the update. I’m assuming you already own NP?

The update page is linked in the email that Wallander Instruments will have sent you: Wallander Instruments

The Version History is pretty prominent on that page.

The release notes can be downloaded from the Note Performer Homepage.

i already made a thread here

We finally have a stable NotePerformer release for Dorico 3.5 …
NP 3.3.1 doesn’t playback well with Dorico 3.5 comparing to what it behaves in Dorico 3.0 & 3.1 update.

Took me 4 seconds to find the Version History on the front page.

Jesper

Yes, I guess I didn’t scroll enough when I first looked for it.

There are links to both the version history and the use guide on the “request download link” page as well.

In fact there is nothing else on the page except for those links - no scrolling required.

I think my comments above were influenced by the email notice having basically zero information in it. Now that I have seen the actual list of enhancements, it looks like a very strong set of features. I personally will take great advantage of the jazz articulations. It looks like a case of “Burying the lede” so to speak. Don’t be bashful about telling the story. It is great stuff.

The email has a link called “To download this free update, please visit” with no information. I assumed that was, as stated, a link to the download. I didn’t want to download. I wanted to know what was in the release before I decided whether I would bother. So I followed the other link, which was http://www.wallanderinstruments.com.

That drops into a confusing page that has no real information, just the names of the two products: NP and WIVI. It isn’t obvious how to proceed from there, as there are no links, buttons, or menus. I poked around and found that the text items were, in fact, hyperlinks but the CSS stylized them as regular text instead of links.

When I clicked on the text, that dropped me to https://www.noteperformer.com/. From there, if I had scrolled down 5 pages worth of space, I would eventually have found Version History. I missed that the first time because it was in a section titled “downloadable media”. I guess that’s as good as any, but just not where one usually expects to find information about a particular release.

In retrospect, I think my comment would have been more accurate to say the website is OK, but the email is not very helpful. Be that as it may, the software looks great. I appreciate the effort that went into the updates.

The documentation still shows that the jazz articulations are not implemented in Dorico - has he simply not updated the manual yet?

I just tried. Jazz articulations (falls/bend down) doesn’t work here. Dorico 3.5 and NP 3.3.2 on Mac.

They play back for me. (Dorico 3.5 and NP 3.3.2 on Windows)

Probably, you have still got an “old” NP expression map attached to your project. The latest is Version 30.

Open the expression map and click the “Expression Map Data” pane to see what version you are using.

Hi Rob. I find that some files are using version 20. How do I update them to version 30?

[Edit] : Nevermind. Applying playback template again did the trick.

I could never find the version listed anywhere in Expression Map Data (is that a file or a Dorico panel?); is it possible this only appears on a Mac?

It used to be more visible, but it’s now in the Expression Map Data panel when you edit the expression map.

You can also update them automatically. Tick Preferences / Play / Update to expression maps and percussion maps with higher versions.

(Of course if you have edited some of your old expression maps, automatic update might not be a good idea!)