Noteperformer latency

Hi all

I’m still a Sibelius user, waiting to switch to Dorico as soon as I get a chance later this year (will first run the 30 days trial)

I have a question for Noteperformer users:

I remember one problem that Noteperformer had with Sibelius, which is that it added almost a second of latency to the playback, which unfortunately made it unusable when working to picture (inside Sibelius) because playback never matched the actual timecode.

Is it still the case for version 3 with Dorico ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

And congratulation for your brilliant work, I can’t wait to start learning Dorico.

All the best
mh

mikeheels,

Welcome - you’ll be impressed with Dorico Pro 2. No; no latency.

Thanks Mark!
Wow so they managed to completely get rid of the latency? that’s amazing! I’m wondering how they did that :slight_smile:

As far as I know this second is needed for NotePerformer to calculate the appropriate playback. To read in advance what is written in notes.

From the homepage of NotePerfomer:

We want you to know that…
NotePerformer adds a one-second delay to playback.
This is the secret to how we’re able to analyse the musical context of your score.
But it also means that you can’t use ReWire technology with NotePerformer.
And no live tempo recording with your MIDI keyboard while NotePerformer is selected for playback.

But thanks God both apps can be tested before and together :slight_smile:

Dorico 2 DOES have a one second delay, but only with NotePerformer.

I think the OP wants to know if the video and the audio, played through NotePerformer, are in sync or it there is that one second delay that’s messing around… In other words: is the delay needed for NotePerformer added to the video stream? Are the buffers equal (as time is concerned)
?

Hi, now I’m a bit confused, I’ll try and reformulate my question hoping it’s clearer:

When using Sibelius with Noteperformer (I’m talking about older versions, not the current one) there was this added second of delay, by that I mean that the same score played with the internal Sibelius sounds, or with a general midi soundset, was perfectly accurate in timing (so if I scored a note that had to hit a specific timecode, that was precise and working perfectly) while with Noteperformer the same score was playing “shifted” of this added second, thus being “out of time” relative to the timecode position.

My question was: has this limitation somehow been fixed or overcome by the combination of the newer version of Noteperfomer together with Dorico 2 ?

Thanks a lot for your help
mh

The one-second delay is unavoidable, since that’s fundamentally how NotePerformer works. But you will find that the timecode, the playhead and the playback are all in sync when playing back with NotePerformer in Dorico 2. Try it for yourself to see.

2 Likes

Thanks Daniel for your input here. It’s not surprising that you made it work with all those refinements !

I’m finding this delay very distracting for actual composing, as I get faster at entering notes.

I assume the only way to get around it (without muting) is to switch to a different playback template during note entry? Then back to Note Performer for playback?

The only thing I wish is that NotePerformer would receive an instant kill signal when you stop playback. Having it go on for another second is what stood out most about the delay for me.

I’m hoping that for your eventual real-time MIDI record that you’ll have some sort of Note Performer real-time entry mode that temporarily gets rid of the 1 s delay and allows the sounds to play in time (but without expression) for the purposes of hearing one’s input (since playback expression will be governed purely by NotePerforner’s interpretation of the notated symbols when ultimately played back later anyway). Curious, at any rate, if this would be possible…
Best!
D.D.

1 Like

We’ve fixed this latency for note input with Note Performer. We’re aware of the note general issue for real-time input and we’re in conversation with Arne about finding a solution for it.

1 Like

Thanks - all promising developments.

• D.D.

I’m scoring a film now with Noteperformer, a few other Kontakt, Play and Engine VST’s along to video and outside of a few random video issues (which I think we have a temporary user fix for now thanks to Ulf) am experiencing no issues with playback latency… it just works beautifully. :slight_smile:

As far as I’m aware, NotePerformer only gets MIDI note on and note off, and program changes. From that it has to tell if notes are slurred, staccato etc. So it has to measure the time between MIDI events and deduce what is in the score from there.

maybe time for notation software vendors to sort out a new standard so that all the articulation information can be explicitly passed to the rendering engines. Maybe that’s what VST3 is supposed to be.

Hi all, and sorry to resurrect this old thread.
I need to decide if I should be scoring a short movie using Dorico (for the first time working with video) or if should use Sibelius and not risk it this time.

My concern is this: NotePerformer manual has a specific workaround when working with video in Sibelius, in order to overcome the 1 sec. delay, this one:

But nothing is specified for Dorico, which makes me wonder if that’s going to be an issue, or if on the contrary the delay is automatically being calculated and taken care of.

Practical example of what my use case is:
All I need is to make sure that if I write a note at (e.g.) timecode +01:02:54:10 , I will be hearing it at that exact timecode when composing inside Dorico, and that, when exporting the finished audio track, if I edit it on top of the original video (say in Final Cut Pro), I will hear that same note exactly on that specific timecode.

I hope I managed to express my use case correctly, and I would appreciate your opinions about this.

Many thanks!
Best
-m

As you can see above, Daniel write:

the timecode, the playhead and the playback are all in sync when playing back with NotePerformer

… and that was Dorico 2…!

I use NP3 alongside other libraries, and there’s no ‘lag’ between them. As far as I can tell, NP3 plays back exactly like any other library.

In additional NP version 4 is expected imminently.

2 Likes

Thanks @benwiggy

I just tested it and it looks like it’s working!

Working with Timecode, following the instructions in the operation manual, is still a bit confusing to me I have to say. Is there any video tutorial around about scoring to video with Dorico?

Many thanks

Best

-m

Try this one:

1 Like