NotePerformer will not mute track

I don’t seem to be able to get NP to mute an individual track. I go into the NP mixer, click on “M”, but I still hear playback. I can even pull the fader all the way down and I still hear playback. What am I doing wrong?

(wrong thread)

Hi alderking, could you please post an example project? In order to attach it here, you first need to zip it up. Thanks

Pit Orchestra (965 KB)

So the voice track is muted in the NP mixer and I’ve pulled the fader all the way down, but I’m still hearing playback…

Sorry if I’m missing something here, Seann (nice to see you here on the Dorico forum, by the way!), but I think the problem is simply that in Play mode, “MAME” is set to the third channel in the second instance of NotePerformer, which is the flute sound, and which is not muted, whereas the channel you’ve muted is channel 4, the “Soprano Voice (Ah)” sound.

Hi Daniel, and may I just say – congratulations on a really impressive piece of software! The power of this is astonishing… that said, I feel like a newborn babe, falling over and bumping into walls as I try to get used to a rather different paradigm from both Finale and Sibelius. I think it’s going to be amazing though.

So – you’re absolutely right. I imported this file from Sib into an existing Dorico template I had made, which included a character which isn’t in this number. I deleted him from the score, but forgot to delete him from the Setup…so I was trying to mute a non-existant part. Deleted the player, reassigned the mixer and all is good.

Can I ask a further question? If you have a look at the score, you’ll see the cue of Bassoon in bar 1 in the Clarinet 1 part has the slurs the wrong way around. Is there any way to flip them (see attached…)

I’m really glad you’re enjoying your initial forays into using Dorico, Seann. I think the problem with the slurs in your bassoon part is that your project started life as a MusicXML import. For boring technical reasons you end up with properties for things like slur placement set in ways that you wouldn’t ordinarily set them if you created the slurs for yourself. To sort out the bassoon cue, select the slurs in the bassoon staff (not the cue) and turn off the ‘Placement’ property for slurs in the Properties panel.

In general I find that switching off pretty much all of the options on the MusicXML Import page of Preferences works best for me – I don’t really want to import too many of the positioning, beaming, accidental etc. rules of the MusicXML file from the exporting application: I want Dorico to treat the data as closely as possible to if I entered it in Dorico myself, and switching off those options before you import a MusicXML file achieves that.

Ah. I should have thought of that. I deleted the offending phrase, re-created it, and everything was fine. Out of curiosity I then restored the original version and just deleted the slurs, and creating them anew also sorted it out. Interestingly though there was nothing set in the placement property for slurs in the Properties panel…

Re MusicXML import. One oddity – Sib Tempo Text (all entered in the same manner originally) showed up in various ways in the new Dorico file – as Tempo, as regular text, and as both! As you recommend, I’ll keep those options off from now on.

I look forward to becoming as comfortable and fluent with Dorico as I am with Sibelius. And I’ll try not to pester with too many questions as I learn!

Unfortunately MusicXML does not really specify the kind of text to be used anywhere, so Dorico has to infer whether it should be a tempo marking or something else. You should certainly expect to have to do some proof-reading for things you import via MusicXML. Another big omission is that techniques like pizz./arco are not imported (though that will be somewhat improved in the next version), and also fermatas are not currently imported. So keep your eyes open for them.

Thanks for the heads up – that definitely matches my experience at this point.