notes clumping

What is the quickest speed you can play using your midi keyboard before notes are ‘clumped’ and displayed as a chord? Does the speed of the cpu affect this? In step entry, is there a way to specify “I do not want notes to be clumped when I input them”. Reason: I have many bars of 8th notes that I want to input very fast, but I have to play them slower than I’d like otherwise Dorico will clump them. (apologies if the word clump isn’t perfect…I kinda like it though!

Cheers guys.

“amalgamated”? :laughing:

I just tried entering notes at 4 to the click, tempo 100. No amalgamation. I wish I could think fast enough to enter notes at that tempo…

If I’m reading the code correctly, Dorico will treat any notes received within 100ms of each other as a chord. Perhaps this is a little high.

Thanks Daniel.

Just exploring this a bit more. It seems key presses do not follow this 100ms rule and enter one after the other. I just hit C and E simultaneously to try and get a third entered, but alas they are entered one after another. May I propose that this 100ms (or less :slight_smile:) code be applied to keypresses too?

No, we have no plans to make it possible to input chords by pressing multiple note names on the computer keyboard simultaneously.

oh really? What if a user wants to remap some keys on the keyboard to have one row of adjacent keys (eg hjkl) correspond to a,b,c,d and the row above be f,g,a,b. There are split keyboards that allow multiple layers (a whole different set of keys) and I am considering this as an option, and therefore thought if the keyboard is used like a midi keyboard, then perhaps if two keys are pressed at the same time, it could be entered as a chord.

I would answer that user that there are lots of ways of doing things and you probably could achieve converting keypresses to midi with external software like Max Msp, Keyboard Maestro, AutoHotKey, etc. But it is not a feature you will have in Dorico at least for a while.

One could buy a MIDI keyboard and have no problem entering chords by pressing notes simultaneously.

If an application uses the operating system to read the keyboard, the concept of “pressing two keys at the same time” doesn’t exist (unless one of the keys is Shift, Ctrl, Alt, etc)

The cheapest keyboards can only keep track of two keys pressed at the same time (aside from Shift, Ctrl, Alt, etc) and pressing more will produce a “phantom keystroke” different from any of the keys you pressed. Higher tech keyboards may handle more than two (the one I am using right now can manage about 5 or 6) but the reason for doing this at all is to avoid fast typists making errors by not releasing the keys quickly, not to deal with “chords.”

For example if I press and hold C E and G simultaneously on my keyboard, It outputs those three keys in whatever “random” order I actually pressed them, followed by auto-repeating the last one until I release them - not very useful for musical chord input.

I can’t remember whether you’re on Windows or Mac, Luke, but if you’re on Mac, you could try the free Midikeys software MIDI keyboard, which does do its best to interpret two or more keys pressed simultaneously as a chord. As Rob says, there’s a limit on how many keys can be registered simultaneously, but for dyads and triads you might find it works well enough. Note that Midikeys itself has to be in focus for the keypresses to be registered by the MIDI device rather than by Dorico. Although I’ve not personally used it (I don’t use Windows unless forced), I believe VMPK would be a free equivalent program for Windows.