Notes without noteheads and bars without rest

Hello,

I want to write staff without rest, some rhythm cues, and single notes with a tie for a Contrabass part.

Something that looks like this.

You should create a headless notehead style (several topics describe the procedure, make sure you find one that specifies to fill the notehead space with three spaces (biggest button of your keyboard).
Use the Remove rests command from the Edit menu should do the rest.
Hope it helps!

Removing rests in a single-staff system context like this is likely to result in horizontally-squished note spacing, which is worth bearing in mind.

2 Likes

Thank you MarcLarcher,

I found a topic where it explains how to create a headless notehead

How can I remove the flat and natural?

And how can I make a single note tied?
CleanShot 2022-08-11 at 23.55.39

Adding a headless notehead option as default in the Properties and the right click
would be great

1 Like

You can easily do this yourself. Once created, click the little ā€œSave as Defaultā€ star. It will now show up in the right-click menu. I called mine ā€œBlank Noteheadsā€ but you can name yours whatever you want.

It depends what is causing them to show (cautionary, etc), but you can always hide it in Properties. I canā€™t remember if itā€™s standard or not, but you can program a shortcut to Toggle Accidental Visibility if there isnā€™t one by default.

You can just use a L.V. tie, or you can tie it to another note, then hide the notehead with a notehead set, and hide the stem in Engrave/Properties

1 Like

Thank you for your replies.

I understand that I can get the option after creating a headless notehead but
I wish it was already set as an option as well as stemless notes in Write mode, as it is not easy
to create it as a beginner.

In the Properties, there is an option to hide accidental. :+1:t2:

I donā€™t understand what You can just use a L.V. tie?
And ā€œhide the notehead with a notehead set, and hide the stem in Engrave/Propertiesā€
itā€™s a fastidious process if I have to do it many times in a piece.

You can activate that toggle manually, or just assign a shortcut to Edit/Toggle Laissez Vibrer Tie.
lv

2 Likes

Thank you very much :+1:t2: it works

My last issue is that canā€™t copy and paste this single note.

CleanShot 2022-08-12 at 19.14.28

Actually, you should be able to copy-paste it, if you can select itā€¦ Hence the three spaces to give some spatial existence to that headless notehead (but since Dorico only selects what is visible ā€” all hidden objects, signposts, etc, wonā€™t be in a selection ā€” there could be a problemā€¦ I should check it out.)

I know there must be a good reason to use the notation you want, but I couldnā€™t help but notice how difficult it is to sightread the example you first pictured. One must mentally fill in the rests, which very soon becomes tiresome. Lack of noteheads makes the notation look washed out. Slash notation and slashed rhythmic notation would seem to be preferable rather than what I see as an ā€œinventionā€.

2 Likes

Yup, Iā€™d also use slashed note heads instead of the invisible ones.
But to each his ownā€¦:wink:

Benji

This is common in Japanese Pop.
For me, it is really easy to read.
Just get the information needed.

1 Like

I canā€™t select this single headless note.
When I click on it, I hear the sound of it.
I canā€™t copy and paste it, but if I add ā€œlaisser vibrer tieā€ it works.

2 Likes

Headless noteheads are widely used in different genres and contexts.
Why not have a predefined in the next version of Dorico?

1 Like