Notice comment and wish list for future version of Dorico

Hello,

After one month using Dorico 3 here some things, I noticed :

• I don’t find a way to send a files of Dorico in an older version. (Dorico 2 or Dorico 1)

• On Mac Finder, with Sibelius it’s possible to have a quick look of the file without open it,
    it would be nice to have it for Dorico

• During writing chords, if I write D diminish D+o I get the chord C Major

• I wish it was a way to input tuplets using the keyboard only (without using the Pop over)
    as if I was clicking on the Tuplets icon on the left side.

• On the left and right side, if I let my mouse long time on an icon I get the keyboard shortcut and on some other not.

• On transpose mode, I would prefer the Interval then the quality (it’s a detail)

• Sometimes in write mode, I leave the page to one place, then without I touch anything it moves to another place in the music.
    maybe because I had somethings selected and it comes back to this point but I’m not sure.

• in write mode, using violin for example, if I put pizzicato with Playing technique, it will sound as pizz only if I come back
    a little and press play, same to come back to arco.

• Can’t find a way to add a string number in roman letter for violin cello viola…I use text but

• It crashes each time I try to add comment

• To save space on my screen I like to close the left panel, but then I can’t know the value of the note, it would be nice, even the panel close
    I had some icon showing the value and accent

That’s it

Thank you for your attention

Good observations.

Shortcuts on hover, agreed.

Transpose, agreed.

Unexpected movement in score while working, there are threads on this issue. A lot of talk about this.

Indicating selected note duration when left panel is closed, agreed.

If you can repeat the problem in a small project, I’m sure the team would like to examine it for clues, to see why its happening… You can get it to them by attaching to a post here (you need to zip up the project file first; or just add ‘.zip’ to the end of the filename), or posting it online somewhere and sharing the link. Also, there’s another (similar) thread here you could add your info to:-

Next time it happens, run the Diagnostics tool found in the ‘Help’ menu; it will produce a file on your desktop. Send it to the team for diagnosis…

You have some other nice ideas there.

Good luck.!
Bob

You don’t need to do this: all versions of Dorico back to Dorico 1.0 can open projects saved in Dorico 3.1. Obviously if you use features that earlier versions of Dorico don’t understand, those features will not appear when you open those projects in earlier versions, and if the person you send those projects to subsequently resave the project in their version, those features will be removed from the project (because the older version cannot preserve them).

Yes, a Quick Look plug-in is something we plan to add. It’s difficult because these days macOS will not allow you to generate a preview if it takes longer than 5 seconds, and Dorico cannot typically open a project and render it in less than 5 seconds, so we will probably end up having to generate the preview in advance, which will mean it cannot be dynamic and allow you to page through the whole project, but should still be somewhat useful.

I don’t know quite what you mean by this. If you type e.g. “Ddim” into the Shift+Q popover, you’ll certainly get a D diminished chord.

You might find this earlier thread helpful.

You get keyboard shortcuts for those buttons that correspond directly to key commands. Not all of the buttons do. For example, the buttons on the right-hand side correspond to the commands to hide and show the various panels, as found in the Write > Panels submenu, but those commands do not have key commands by default, and they are not the same commands as e.g. the popovers that create those kinds of items.

We’ve had those both ways around. It’s complicated because the options available under ‘Quality’ depend on the value chosen in ‘Interval’, and not all interval/quality combinations can be chosen in any case, if they will cause Dorico to end up producing non-notatable music.

We’ll need a reproducible case in order to investigate this.

Again, please provide a reproducible case. You can zip up and attach a project to a reply in this thread. Be sure to include the steps necessary to reproduce the problem.

Using text is the best way to achieve this for now.

If you’re on Windows, please follow the steps in the FAQ thread under ‘Dorico is crashing. What should I do?’ to make sure Dorico is creating crash dumps when it crashes. Then make the program crash again, restart Dorico, and choose Help > Create Diagnostic Report to create a zip file called “Dorico Diagnostics.zip” on your desktop. Attach that to a reply here.

We have no plans for this.

I think the OP means that when one types “Do” one gets a C chord, which is normal since it’s the French nomenclature. However, the OP can now rest assured that dim chords are available simply by typing “dim” after the chord letter.

Thank you very much Daniel,
to take time to answer my questions :smiley:

I enjoy using Dorico very much ^.^

“I don’t know quite what you mean by this. If you type e.g. “Ddim” into the Shift+Q popover, you’ll certainly get a D diminished chord.”

Yes, It works if I use Ddim, but the letter o is also an option to write diminished chord,
so if I want G diminished chord I can write “Go” but if I want a D diminished chord I should don’t forget to write Ddim :wink:

best regards

But the plus is a symbol for augmented chords. For all we know Dorico may think you are asking for an augmented diminished chord, which, not being possible, leads to a strange result. Best just to type Ddim and then configure Dorico to display it with the o-superscript.

Derrek, the op was stating that he tries to type “Do” but described it as D+o. He wasn’t actually entering the plus mark.

Yet he did not say he typed “D+d+i+m,” so it is not such a far-fetched assumption. :exclamation: :slight_smile:

Took me some time to figure out the “dim” chords too. I also tried all variations of “o” and “zeros” first.