Novation Automaped plug ins not showing up

I moved everything to a new system. Windows 10, 64 bit, Cubase 8 Pro. Everything is working, but when I go thru the process of Automapping my plugins because I still use a Novation Nocturn, the plugins are not showing up in my plugin manager. I have scanned for them, restarted, everything. I can see them in windows explorer when Cubase, when starting it you can see it Initializes them, but they don’t show up in the actual plugin manager. Anyone ever have a plugin not show up in your plugin manager?

Hi and welcome,

Probably they are blacklisted by Cubase.

Hey Martin-
My VST3 automapped plugins are all showing up in the blacklist-- I’ve been searching the forums but can’t seem to find a fix-- is there a fix for this or is Automap no longer supported? (running latest versions and firmware on Win11/Cubase 12.060) Thanks for your help!

I’m still using automap 4 with C12. I’ve come to expect just about nothing from it in recent years. Two forms of Bass Station 64 show up in my VSTi list as VST 2.4.

Last I heard (from Novation, if I recall correctly), the need for Automap has been superseded by improvements in MIDI learn functions in practically every DAW.

It was always possible to avoid Automap, but it was always tricky to do, and with limited results. One time I was monitoring MIDI messages in Cubase compared to MIDI-OX, and found that many messages did not show up in Cubase. It was like they were being filtered out. That was a long time ago. If memory serves, the eliminated messages were vendor-specific.

If I were trying to restore communications between Cubase and my Novation SlMkII these days, I’d give MIDI learn (in Cubase) a try. I might do that some day. It all depends on the balance of frustration – setting all this up versus swiveling between my computer and my MIDI controller.

Thanks ColinPark-- I appreciate your response-- I use a Novation Ultranova and if I’m honest never really had any luck getting it to control anything in cubase w/automap… So at this point I’ve deleted automap completely and will explore the midi learn in cubase as you suggest… Now I’m left w/all my automapped shells still showing up in the Cubase blacklist-- I’d really like to figure out how to get rid of those so nothing is blacklisted-- any ideas? (something automap left in the registry of my pc?) Anyone know?

Yeah, I’ve stopped using automap because it eats CPU at an unacceptable rate and accomplishes nothing. I’ve tried to use MIDI learn with some success. So far, I’m just trying to do transfer controls.

The main problem is that you have to push transport buttons twice for them to be recognized in Cubase. This topic came up in 2014 (link), and the solution involved midi machine control. This interface is still available today, Transport > Project Synchronization Setup... but it doesn’t seem to work for me.

Variations on this idea (add legacy controller device, use both master and slave in MMC, etc.) have yet to work for me.

I see 2 possible roads forward: (1) Try to fix this somehow with the logic editor, or (2) get into the programming API. Offhand, I think the second choice is preferable, given that it seems to use javascript, which I’m pretty good at.

FWIW, I have developed a script for the SL-MkII, but I think the port names are specific to my cubase and computer setup. Note that the SL-MkII uses a different CC for each transport control (91 for rewind, 92 for forward, … 96 for record). These are control change messages with values of 0 and 127, value mode is Absolute / Toggle. Changing out of toggle doesn’t seem to matter.

OK, I tried hacking the Novation script for the launch key 3 by giving it a new name and reassigning the message CCs to match the SlMkII. It does work the transport controls, but the problem of having to hit the key twice remains. This means the problem probably can’t be solved at the javascript level because it’s likely elsewhere. Or I need to look more closely. Perhaps start with the simple example script, then try try try to find the event handler. It would be a lot easier if I could find that.