Now would be a great time to offer a sale on Dorico for iPad

I’m sure I’m not alone in having realized that discontinuing Finale, plus offering a very attractive crossgrade price for Finale users, was a good enough reason for me to start diving into Dorico.

Naturally, I was excited to learn that Dorico is also available for iPad, and I immediately downloaded the free version, with the intent of learning how to use it after I’ve learned enough to start converting my Finale files into corresponding Dorico files.

Along the way, I learned that (a) the full version of Dorico for iPad costs almost as much as the Dorico Pro/Finale upgrade, and (b) there has been at least one half-price sale on Dorico for iPad in the past.

From the foregoing, I conclude that I should wait at least three months to see whether there will be another half-price sale on Dorico for iPad associated with Black Friday–unless, of course, I wind up learning my way around Dorico so quickly that there is an urgent need for the iPad version before then.

I suspect I am far from alone in this, and therefore that you would convince a lot of people coming to Dorico for the first time to buy the iPad version now if you were to (a) offer a half-price sale to new Dorico customers immediately (or, for that matter, to everyone if you don’t have a way to distinguish), or (b) say that you definitely will not be offering any discount at least until a stipulated future time. (For example, Sonic Couture does that: Typically when they release a new product, they offer an introductory discount and say “This is the lowest price at which we will offer for this product for at least a year.”)

It’s not our custom to announce in advance when sales will be. You can probably understand why: it would be pointless to ever offer our products at any price other than the sale price, because who would be willing to pay more if they could wait?

So I cannot say with certainty when the Lifetime Unlock will be offered in Dorico at a discount, but I can tell you that it will not be during the current Steinberg anniversary promotion that started today.

One option, if you find yourself needing those premium features on the iPad, is to consider the monthly subscription while you wait for a sale. You can of course start and stop the subscription as needed, too, with no penalty. (Though I don’t think you can get the introductory offer of a free period at the start of the subscription more than once.)

Of course! I wasn’t expecting you to do so. I’ve already suggested the strategy I intend to follow: Go about my business learning how to use Dorico on my PC, while keeping an eye out for a sale that I hope will materialize at the normal time of year for such things.