Nubie Question

With the video export features in Cubase and Nuendo, what are the benefits of having video playback facility in WaveLab?

Usually, i would compose in Nuendo and, doing the audio processing - compression, limiting, eq-ing there. What’s the “advantage” now? Do I compose in Nuendo and export stems to WaveLab and do the processing there, but with the video playing back during the process?

I’m new to this, but willing to learn and grow.

Thanx, in advance, for comments from the veterans!

I guess we all work in different ways, but honestly … for soundtrack creation and a little post production in Nuendo like you seem to be doing … it’s a challenge to see an advantage in doing that.

Tell us more …

By “doing that”, do you mean, “… for soundtrack creation and a little post production in Nuendo like you seem to be doing …”?

When you say “Soundtrack creation”, I think composing Composing/MIDI work, adding sound effect samples, reverb, delay, vocals, mixing.

When you say “Post production work”, I think processing:- overall eq, compression, limiting and the other things I may not know about.

Can I do the “Soundtrack creation” in WaveLab? How does it help, to have the video playing in WaveLab?

Well WL is a super powerful editing solution. I don’t run Nuendo, but I think you can use WL as an external editor

Maybe look at integrating that into your workflow and see if it’s a good fit. And experiment with what’s possible in WL in the context of your workflow.

Again, we all work in different ways and I guess it is ‘possible’'. But (at least from my perspective) WL is really not designed to do this (even though it has a video track now). Nuendo is specifically tailored for post and stuff like soundtrack creation (where you’ll typically need a lot of tracks of different types). WL … on the other hand … is focused on mastering (in the music sense, not the film sense). For example WL does not have the same level of support for controllers and midi that you’d be used to in Nuendo. Functions like ReConforming audio/change EDL and compare EDL versions in WL I’d expect would be a workaround at best (but as always I’m happy to be educated on this).

Yes, I get the point, that Nuendo is specifically tailored to music creation, mixing etc.

The question I’m asking is, “What is the benefit of having a video track in WaveLab”?

I guess I should also ask, “Is there anyone here, who is benefiting from the video playback capabilities of WaveLab? Can you share how it benefits you?”

Well here’s an example: I recently ‘mastered’ a documentary (series of interviews). I reality it was like a dialogue editing job although there were a handful of music spots. I chose to do this in WL in conjunction with RX Advanced simply because the dialogue was stereo and had lots and lots of artifacts and distracting background noises.

This was literally just before WL10 was released. The benefit from video playback capabilities would have been it would have meant that I probably would not have spent as much time as I did in certain scenes because they were outdoor etc and the back-ground noises made sense in context.

To allay any doubt though … WL would not be my first choice for real post production (simply because IMHO that’s not what it’s for).

Aaahh! This is wonderful! Things are clearer, now!

Soooo, let’s say, I have a Podcast with Video (“VideoCast”?), and there is noise, or, the presenter just wants to re-do (some of) the voice-over, I could use WL 10 for that. IOW, any audio-video work that doesn’t require “composing”.

Thanx to the person who came up with that idea!

To allay any doubt though … WL would not be my first choice for real post production (simply because IMHO that’s not what it’s for).

Definitely not!