Nuendo 10 on an Avid S6

I’m working in hybrid. But I’ve been SLOWLY transitioning to ITB . I track through my desk and mix ITB with my Artist Series system (MC Control, 2 Mix and Transport).

My interest in the S1 is entirely because they claim to have addressed 95% of the issues we been fighting for YEARS with the Artist Series, since Avid acquired Eucon.
The main feature I’m waiting for is the MOST BASIC, the hardware follows the software!! After that, the other things like having Ctrl/Alt/Delete buttons in addition to the shift button or the ability to have individual metering via tablets is “icing on the cake!”

IF that’s genuinely fixed, I would find that sufficient motivation to update/upgrade. If not, I’ll stick with the current setup.

Eddie Jones from Avid (who runs the team that produces the PT Control app) claims that the crash on the Tracks page is fixed in the new version of the app that they will release in December. The app has been rewritten to support the S1 and run on both iOS and Android, so it seems possible that it will be fixed. I believe the app is changing names as well, so stay tuned for a fix for that!

That is good to know. I will check it out as soon as it comes available.

They’re calling it AVID CONTROL now. It will work with current Artist Series hardware. But the meter bridge features will ONLY WORK WITH THE S1.

S3 + Dock here. The fader issues ( discrepancy’s ) were resolved by Avid 1 year ago or so.
Im very happy with my purchase, 2 years ago I had the option to go with the S3 or the SSL Nucleus. Had the privilege to A/B both units and the Eucon Protocol won by far.
I do mostly Post for TV and gaming Sound Design.
The integration of the S3+Dock+iPad with Nuendo is pretty much a dream compared to an HUI or MCU based unit.
There is nothing you gain from an S6 or Nuage till the mixing stage, all the Post work before that final process is very well done with my setup, cue mixes to the booth; Editing Vocals; ADR; Etc…
Checking the new app layout today and surprise surprise! It got even better.
Question is, how long this “bug Free” working environment will last?
I have my own 5.1 + booth studio but I do freelance work for other venues. Coincidentally, I have the privilege to work both on a Nuage based studio and an S6 one. I can’t comprehend why those 2 venues have such large “consoles”, my main work there is Dialogue Editing and Re Recording stuff…
Anyways, back to the subject, I don’t know how Steinberg/yamaha dropped the ball here, but they did! I even watched a mixing stage of a Full Blown Feature Film on an S6, believe me, most of you have watch that movie, but here’s the catch: It was entirely mixed on Nuendo! with an S6!!!
Im a happy man with my setup, and Im a Nuendo guy, been there since V2, when they had RME hardware to go with it, but Avid is taking over the “controllers” world with this S1 releases.
Im still primarily a Nuendo user, but the bull they’ve been putting out lately?! Trying to merge Nuendo with Cubase and get both parts zoinc*d?
Makes me wonder if the claims of the lack of eucon SDKs by Steinberg from Avid, is a reality.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Can you use the metering features on your S3 with Avid Control? Would you need 2 tablets to represent the 16 faders?

Interesting stuff Migel, thanks so much for sharing…:slight_smile:

You can use the metering features, you need two tablets for 16 channels. You have the option of 4/6/8 channels in metering view.

How does the transport functionality of the dock respond? I am currently using a Mackie Control Pro and I love the transport buttons and especially the jog wheel. When I dial the jog in play mode the playhead cursor responds immediately without delay, and playback resumes directly when I stop dialing. Also when I press and hold FFW or REW button while playing the playhead scrolls immediately and when I release the button playback continues from the playhead position. Does the transport on the Dock respond like this as well?

My understanding is that you can’t do that. With the S3, you can only have one Control app running. For the S1, you actually “bond” the various metering instances of the Control app to each S1 that you have. In addition, you can have a master Control instance that has full functionality. With the S3 (or Artist Mix, etc) you can only have the master Control app.

That’s what I’ve heard on the Avid Forum. Still no word from any Cubase/Nuendo users regarding the Mixing Mirror issue. But based on the results of the Avid Control app, it doesn’t look good. If hidden tracks in Nuendo fails to have those tracks hidden in the Avid Control software, there’s no reason to think that adding the hardware will make any difference. :frowning: