Nuendo 12 and Nuage

Maybe we should just report that Cubase 12 and Nuendo 12 on Mac is useless for the customers with the largest investments in Steinberg and Yamaha technology …

Let’s take it easy. I trust that soon it will be working flawlessly as it always has.

been a month now… any word? I will admit Im in between projects now so I have time to complain, but this is surely a very easy fix and QA on a mac only point release for display issues on hardware would be trivial. lets go guys… cant give N12 any loving if I cant use my gear! =)

Everytime you say that, a developer dies.

Be patient, it is coming.

Fredo

1 Like

as a developer… I agree, but as a developer I also sense that QA doesnt have MAC / NUAGE platforms in their smoke test… tsk tsk…

@R_D I think they just overloaded themselves with things to do this release cycle. They were doing all the new feature jazz as per normal, maybe even more than usual. That’s a fair bit of work and testing right there. Then you add to that the new license platform. From what I understand Steinberg had their elicenser code deeply and pervasively embedded in their programs to make it extremely difficult for software pirates to tear out. Presumably the new licenser will be similarly deeply embedded. That’s a lot of work, and a lot to go wrong, particularly since as with any new system it’ll have issues once it goes out in to the wild.

Then, on top of that, the M1 comes along, and all the Mac users are clamoring for native code, which means all kinds of rewriting of things, including some that haven’t probably been touched in forever, and all the bugs that come with that.

It’s just the perfect storm for too many bugs and not enough developer time to get them all fixed quickly.

1 Like

well, then dont release it… its that simple.
releasing show stopping non functional code is always worse then postponing a release. They know this… however the Mac Nuage base has got to be tiny, so it wasnt tested. Simple as that. They can get away with it because nuage owners at some level are a) rich compared to upgrade cost b) know they can continue to work using 11. I dont fault their logic or actions, I just dont like it because I dont get to play and try 12 yet in a work environment.

I mean while I understand the “don’t release it” point of view I guess there are a few counterpoints I would bring up:

1. The main one would be “How is it any different from if they hadn’t released it?” If they didn’t release it, you still couldn’t play with it in your studio. Because of the bug you can’t now, but you can play with it on a non-production machine if you want. So them holding the release for fixing this wouldn’t change if you could use it at work or not, just if you could play with it in another setting.

2. No matter how through a company’s QA, there will be problems that don’t get discovered until the product is in the wild. For a studio that does things of a size enough to warrant a Nuage controller, I imagine stability is paramount so you probably don’t jump on new versions right away, you wait to see how they go. That it is out there and being tried means people are going to find more bugs, that can then get fixed, and get it to a point where you want to use it.

3. They had other considerations to deal with, money being one, but another just being the M1 crying. While I personally dislike Macs and don’t think they should be used for pro/enterprise environments, I’m in the minority view on that in the audio world. People bought their shiny new M1 Macs and they clamored for native code.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the issue isn’t annoying for you, just that I don’t see that delaying it really would help things. There’s also just the fact that I’m sure they don’t have as big a QA team as we’d all wish. People cost money, and the DAW market, particularly the ultra high end DAW market, is small. Only so many they can afford to have. While it would be nice if they had a QA operation like Intel that spanned a warehouse, involved a thousand people and basically every device on the market, in reality is is probably 10 people with limited resources.

2 Likes

I just installed N12 and the Nuage works perfectly straight out of the box.

One thing to remember on Win systems tho is that fresh installs can create firewall issues that affects Nuage.

So basically you need to set permissions for Nuendo to use the network.

the issue is Mac only from what we have determined.

im completely with you about M1 macs… the problem is on ALL macs… and the problem is not running the program, the problem is that it doesnt work with their own TOP OF THE LINE EQUIPMENT…! so, I get your point, but Im not sure you get mine. If you sell 60k+ Euro hardware , it should work with your software.
That being said… yes, I am whining, everytime I finish a project and check back in to see if a patch for Nuage tools is up and I can launch N12 which I paid for two months ago now. ( and no I dont care about the money.). I just want ST/Yamaha to be top shelf.

I understand completely with you wanting it to work. My comment on the M1 is not saying you jumped on them but just that, and the new licensing platform, has been siphoning off their dev time. Unless they hired a whole bunch of new staff, which I doubt, those two things are going to drain their resources as neither are trivial.

Well time spent on those and fixing their problems is time not spent on fixing your problem. I also understand why they prioritized M1 support, even though I personally think they shouldn’t. It is something that lots of people want, so it is a selling point.

nuage does not work with M1 macs as far as I know without some bizzaro external thunderbolt PCI card housing unit so I dont know how this even entered the conversation. there are no M1 macs with space for the Dante PCI card and I am not aware that M1 Dante drivers exist. so lets keep the focus on the actual topic. Nuage and Nuendo 12 on Mac is broken. It should not have been shipped that way.

Hold it my friend.
I don’t think this is correct.
Nuage works perfectly without any Dante card or connection.
Just a simple LAN port is needed, nothing else.

A fix is coming.

Fredo

1 Like

well, I just checked and there are NO drivers for any Dante cards for M1 macs, nor is there an install of tools for nuage that is M1 compatible, so Im not sure how I am incorrect. The idea of using Nuage without Dante is a novel concept though seeing as how it was designed for and sold in a Dante environment.

Since the fix is taking so long, maybe they could also fix the non colour conforming audio meters? (when you customise your meters in Nuendo, the nuage tools meters do not conform, and are unchangeable…

Also Fredo… just to make my point. Nuage does NOT work perfectly with just an ethernet port on Nuendo 12 mac… The master section screen is black as are the oled scribble strips.

Sorry to be a hard ass, but really… Pro level top dollar gear and software means your feet are going to be held to the fire, and you will like it! =)

Then we must be doing something completely wrong here. We have two full blown systems in use. No Dante in our facilities, MADI from front to back. The only “connection” our Nuage units have is power and ethernet. Nothing else.

That is indeed the fix that we are waiting for.
And as far as I know this bug is not related to M1 Macs.

Fredo

cool, didnt know that, but it is novel. There is not a single nuendo / nuage video or sales promo referencing anything but Dante. Curious as to why Steinberg / Yamaha favour Dante so heavily in those materials if its not an essential component to the production package.

So , Fredo… The lack of ability to customise meters and behviour doesnt bother you for Nuage? Setting your own peak points and colour scales?

Call me a weirdo, but except for visually checking if signal passes through a channel, I very rarely need metering. Tracking is always around -20dB. -9dB if I had 3 liters of coffee in the morning.

For mixing, we monitor at fixed volumes, so we never have to worry about being too hot.

The only metering we use is the EBU/R128 metering (rarely) Leq(m) for cinema trailers (mandatory) and the Netflix metering.

If only I would need some other kind of metering, then there is Supervision.
And if that wouldn’t be enough, I would rely on a 3th party plugin.

In other words, metering would be at the very bottom of my list when choosing a DAW/Controller.

Fredo

1 Like

We have Four Nuage systems . Two with Dante Cards (but no Yamaha I/O) and Two using bog standard rme interfaces. It doesn’t make any difference to us at all (in relation to the Nuage). There are advantages to be able to control the mic preamps directly from the channel as you can with a Nio interface for, but those are not important for us as we use Nuage for mixing post. Not recording music.

Nothing novel about it.