Nuendo 12 cannot export to MP3

Is mp3 export supposed to work out of the box in Nuendo 12? I tried to esport a project to mp3. I tried many combinations of bit-rate, etc., but when I initiate the export, it simply shifts the window down a couple of millimeters on the screen and does nothing – not even an error dialog.

However, exporting in Wave format works as advertised.

It appears at first blush that I do not have a valid license for the mp3 encoder. However, all documentation says that such a license is included with both Cubase Pro 12 and Nuendo 12.

Is this a known bug? Is there a solution?

Thanks!

I don’t have the option to export to mp3. Never seen. Although that is in the help file.
But I have dBpoweramp installed on the computers because we have to batch convert thousands of files to mp3 every day.

Just exported to both mp3 and wav. Perhaps something is not working right in yoour installation. Try to reinstall Nuendo…

Also, what is your system spec?

2021 MacBook Pro M1 w/ 64GB RAM, 8 TB of Flash. I’ve tried running Nuendo with and without Rosetta. Same issue in both scenarios. I will try reinstalling Nuendo…

2 Likes

1 Like

Hi @steinberg_fiddleman , welcome to the forum. :vulcan_salute:

In Nuendo, “MP3” is referred to as “MPEG 1 Layer 3”. This can be confusing at first:

_NUENOD_MP3

Otherwise, I have not encountered any problems when exporting an MP3 file.

The patent for MP3 has expired a little longer. Nobody requires a separate activation anymore. (Cubase Elements used to require a separate unlock/licence for MP3, I think. But the full versions always had this codec “built in”.)

That is indeed very strange.
Because mpeg is never the same as mp3. mpeg is a “video” format with audio.
But works. Learned something again.

:smiley: No, it isn’t. That’s just street lingo.

MP3 - Wikipedia

1 Like

OK.
In the german wikipedia it is a video format.

MPEG-1 (ISO/IEC 11172) is a standard of the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) for lossy video and audio data compression.

MPEG-1 was developed in the 1980s (introduced in 1991) and aims to compress films to the limited data rate of an audio CD played at normal speed (up to 1.5 Mbit/s). The result, with a correspondingly rather modest quality, is called a video CD. MPEG-1 video compression was significantly refined and improved in 1994 by MPEG-2.

1 Like

MPEG describes standards for video data compression and -reduction, of course, but what we audio guys call “mp3” has always been just a sub-set of these standards. The first sentence of the German Wiki-article already tells the story: “MPEG-1 (ISO/IEC 11172) ist ein Standard der Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) zur verlustbehafteten Video- und Audiodatenkompression.”

1 Like

OK.
It is usually called MP3 if it has the extension .mp3.
With “mpeg” everybody expects files with the extension .mpg.
In WaveLab it is called MP3 - not mpeg.
But now I know how to occasionally create an MP3 file without conversion.
You never stop learning.

did that help?

I’m having the same issue.

every other format works but mp3 not.

“Doesn’t work” is quite unspecific. Does it mean that you still don’t find the respective option, or that the export to mp3 doesn’t deliver the expected result?

What kind of project and what are you trying to export as mp3? For example: mp3 only supports mono and stereo not multichannel.
Give us some info and we might be able to help

Just exported two mixes to .mp3… Nuendo 12.0.60, Mac OSX Ventura 13.2.1.

Since Ventura 13.3.1 it works now for me.

Well you could choose the option but if you pressed bounce actually nothing happened.
Neither offline nor online bounce.

Every other format would export immediately. Mp3 no response.

Also no crash or anything. Just nothing happening.