NUENDO 12 error while converting mono tracks to stereo

I want co convert two mono tracks to stereo. I getting error: The event structure on the selected tracks is too complex. Merge is not possible. what is the solution for this.

Just to understand, you want to mix down two mono tracks to a stereo file? What’s not working with regular export audio mixdown?

It could be a couple of things. It could be that the start and end points of events aren’t the same, so that the left starts slightly earlier than the right. It could also be crossfades of different duration.

I think that if the problem is with fade-ins or fade-outs you get an error that mentions fades.

Either way the solution is to make sure both Left and Right has the same start / end times and the same fade-ins/-outs and crossfades.

Since this gets annoying if it’s for example just one problem on a 1hr timeline one thing I do to troubleshoot this is to create two blank tracks and pull half of the two tracks with events to the new two tracks and then I try to convert the new two tracks. If that works I know the error is in the second half on the original tracks so I repeat the process and move half of the remaining half to two clean tracks and do it again. This way I don’t have to go through everything - I just repeat this process until I’m left with a small enough amount of events to check that it’s fast enough to do. But still boring.

One solution to this problem has been a ‘feature request’ for years; to be able to tell Nuendo to just convert to stereo regardless of these problems, maybe as an option. Please search for the topic and add your vote for that feature.

1 Like

It’s about converting two tracks and its events to stereo. It’s not a mix thing.

Ah, ok!

Thanks. I Will definitely check that.

Do you have a lot of plugins on the mono tracks? That could make it impossible to convert to Stereo.

Just want to convert two tracks events to stereo.

are you using aaf from picture editor?
i get this alot, mostly from nle that split stereo files to dual mono tracks (media composer).
events must start and end at the same time.
fade ins and outs also must start and end at the same time.
if there is a cut on one clip (left stereo) there must be a cut on other clip (right stereo)
crossfades also.
when video editors use dual mono, they make these mistakes by accident.
solution 1 : use protools to convert those tracks to stereo and export new aaf (protools dont care about these errors)
solution 2 : manual edit of clips in nuendo
solution 3 : ask editor if he can merge those track to stereo and resend files.
solution 4 : try using AATranslator app if you have it.

as Mattias said this is a BIG problem that steinberg needs to fix ASAP.

This has been an annoying issue for a long time. I’ve regularly had to inspect every single clip in tracks with many clips in order see where there was an offset between the left and right file. (Fade times and/or clip length).

Please, Steinberg! Help us out her! I can understand that it may not be possible to merge two clips (audiofiles) with different fade and or clip lengths (probably due to how the audio engine handles audio files under the hood), but it would be so helpful if there was some sort of message or log telling me WHERE the offset clips are in the timeline. Or perhaps highlight the problematic locations. It would even be better if Nuendo could suggest fixes for these locations by proposing a way to line-up the specific clips / fades.

If it is possible to create a message that tells me that Nuendo has detected clips that can’t be merged, surely it should be possible to tell me WHICH clips?

they can do it, it is just a matter of if they have time, resources and a good programer.
the fact there is a error, nuendo krows exactly where it is.
they could create marker track with markers indicating to problem.

Yes i have import the AAF session.

Great information you provided .i will keep in mind. While working on AAF. THANKS A LOT.

I really hope Steinberg will address this issue in an upcoming update ( @Fredo ?) Surely this wouldn’t be very difficult to implement? A marker track would be a very elegant solution for this.