Nuendo 3.1, XP, Syncrosoft to eLicenser?

I just powered up my old Windows XP desktop, running Nuendo 3.1. After downloading 97 Windows updates, it seems to work (now under Windows XP SP3). I have a blue dongle with a red LED, which shows up in Device Manager as “Syncrosoft Protection Device”, running Syncrosoft driver 3.5.1.0 dated 11/25/2002. Here’s the LCC display:

I want to start doing audio production again, but on my shiny new Mac—but I want to use VSL Ensemble to link the Mac and PC. Now, VSL requires the more modern eLicenser software. I could just buy an extra USB eLicenser dongle, but I have too many dongles already, and I’m not sure how eLicenser would coexist with Syncrosoft LCC anyway.

So, my questions:

• Will my current dongle work with eLicenser?
  • Will I be able to transfer my existing Nuendo, OpenTL, AES31 licenses to eLicenser?
  • Will Nuendo 3.1 work with eLicenser on XP?
  • What are the chances I lose all my licenses in the process, and can I do anything to safeguard this?

Yes, but be sure you have the latest LCC installed. (eLicenser is the old Synchrosoft)
The dongles haven’t changed.

eLicenser LCC is just the software which manages the licenses on your dongle. So the actual licenses stay on your dongle.

It should.

You need to register them on Mysteinberg. That way you can never lose them.

A couple of things.
Which dongle do you have? There is a long version and a newer shorter version. In this case size does matter, since the short dongle is slightly faster than the older long dongle.

You should be able to use your Nuendo dongle on your Mac (running the Mac version of Nuendo) and VSL on your PC. (If VSL can run on XP …)

And you can also -safely- transfer your Nuendo licenses to your VSL dongle. Or vice versa.
That way, you can avoid the Christmas Tree on your USB port.

HTH
Fredo

Fredo! Glad to see an old familiar face.

I’m assuming that eLicenser is a driver as well as a license manager, so I guess the question is “Is Nuendo 3.1 compatible with the newer driver”? (Or maybe it doesn’t touch the drivers?)

Which dongle do you have? There is a long version and a newer shorter version. In this case size does matter, since the short dongle is slightly faster than the older long dongle.

Photo attached; which one do I have? Is “faster” just at startup, or during the continuous dongle checks mid-session?

You should be able to use your Nuendo dongle on your Mac (running the Mac version of Nuendo)

Can I even still get Nuendo 3.1 for Mac (and would it run on Mountain Lion anyway)? I don’t have the CD handy but I’m pretty sure it was PC-only.

and VSL on your PC. (If VSL can run on XP …)

Believe it or not, yes it can!

Thanks for the help.

Nuendo 3.2.1 certainly runs just fne on the latest eLicenser versions for me (XP, SP3).