Nuendo 8.1 important maintenance & feature update - now available

Hi,

Would it be possible to send me one of your corrupted project(s) via PM?

Thanks!

Surething it was motionjpeg. I’ve also tested pro res. I woudn’t trust H.264 unfortunately. Works okay in a quick pinch on a super tight deadline, but converting has always done me wonders.

Thanks Timo! When will replace audio in video feature be added? I was great to have in N7

Thanks! Spent some time this week trying to track down if MJPEG (MotionJPEG) was available in standard NLEs or available as standalone encoders. Not much luck. It has to be an in AVI container. Both DaVInci Resolve and the version of Premiere Pro/Media Encoder I use do not have MotionJPEG as an available codec in an AVI container. There is a commercial product by MainConcept and the only viable Open Source project on MJPEG shuttered this past year. The codec is fairly ancient so not readily available.

I did discover that in Resolve there is a preset for DNxHD at 8-bit that is insanely fast with encoding and the footprint isn’t horrible at about 375 megs per minute of video in 1080p29.976. In Nuendo the DNxHD video runs VERY smoothly. I am shooting the DNxHD encoded video to an external HD-SDI based monitor so the video does not tax Nuendo to a noticeable degree. If I use the pop up video window it adds a lot of CPU usage. Right now on my machine I am seeing the project I am working on without any video active using about 7% CPU, then when I switch the video on to an external broadcast monitor through a Decklink card the CPU jumps to 9 to 14 %, then when I have the video showing internally in the pop up window it then jumps to 19 to 28% CPU regardless of the size of the pop up window, if the pop up window stays open but the video is “muted” or turned off with just showing timecode running in the window, the CPU usage only drops to 19%. I did not sense any drag with the video whatsoever when scrubbing back and forth. For those who are on Windows, licensed and affordable ProRes is not a readily available. You can, of course, use FFMpeg but if you want to use a codec that is generally sanctioned in the film biz DNxHD is the good fall back position and it is available through either DaVinci Resolve or Premiere Pro’s “Media Encoder” app, if you have to re-encode video files that you receive that are say in H.264 or Sony XDCAM or XAVC or whatever. Davinci Resolve can how handle most of these proprietary codecs that Sony, Panasonic, Red and Canon use. Really looking forward to Steinberg added the ability to use DNxHD files in MXF containers, as they stated this would happen in the future. Shops that have clients that use AVID systems will rejoice. Resolve also allows you to easily generate MXF based DNxHD files as well.

Putting this out their for others who are trying to figure out what codec to use and whether or not you want to seriously re-consider using an external monitor via a Decklink card or device, if you don’t do so already.

Oh yeah its probably ancient. I use Xmedia recode to convert as it doesn’t seem to have photojpeg which I’d imagine may offer the same result. Pro Res usually is what I convert long form videos too and that has worked wonders so far

I have a project that would persistently crash on loading - it turned out to be a Waves Plug-in. ADT. I believe this issue began with Nuendo 8.1 however. Opening the project in the background (inactive) and removing the one plugin solved this issue.

Maybe someone had such a problem as evry time recalculate thumbnail cache in 8.1 when I close project. But in 8.0 evrything was ok It just calculate once.

Hey Dmitriy, it happens to me on literally every project I created in 8.1

I also have some unexplained crashes happening at random moments.

I have the situation where every time i open the nuendo the load stuck on “content” for a very very long time

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 with Meltdown patch applied can you explain that and tell me where to download that

Agreed. Am using exactly this workflow here: Resolve, DNxHD, Nuendo, Decklink, but 1080p25fps PAL.

FWIW - I approached the 8.1.10 update with a little trepidation following all of the complaints and/or problems reported here and on a few other threads. I went ahead with a simple ‘install over the top’ and can report: ZERO problems. Everything works as before & in fact there isn’t all that much to this upgrade really. Bug fixes seem to be just that and work fine.

As usual, I would suggest that many of the issues reported therefore must be local matters related to the state of the OS etc. And as always - if that might be the case - a CLEAN install usually does the trick. This certainly applies to the current series of ProTools HD updates. Is a pig to get going again: loses plugin intelligence, can’t handle large lists (eg UAD), wants re-starts, loses the audio drivers and quits, etc etc.

I do have one comment /request though, about the DOP:
Please add options for its output routing. Surely it cannot be automatically assumed that everyone uses a default ‘Stereo out’ (the only place that DOP plays back). In my case, I use digital AES outputs as the main stereo pair and on to a Dangerous Audio D-Box. In the case of surround production, that gets even weirder. For now I manually route the analogue default ‘Stereo Out’ back to AES monitoring via RME TotalMix. However, surely it would make much more sense to provide this with Nuendo? Either via pulldown on the DOP itself; or via Neundo prefs (zero for DOP there as yet); or via the Monitor setup.