Nuendo 8.3 VST AmbiDecoder Routing?

Hello,

I am very excited about the 360 audio update you guys just released! I have a question on routing and setting up a session.

I have everything set up and working great, I am monitoring out of the Ambisonic bus and my VR headset is tracking correctly in Nuendo as well.

My question is with the VST AmbiDecoder plugin. I am monitoring on headphones to get a true HRTF binaural output and my question was where do I place the Decoder plugin? If the decoder is placed on an ambisonic (1st/2nd/3rd order) bus, it only converts to itself. For example, if the bus I am monitoring is First order, when the plugin is placed on that bus, the VST is converting 1st → 1st which does me no good. There is no where (I could find) to change the output format.

Is there a way to route the 1st order bus to a stereo bus with the Decoder VST receiving signal in 1st order format and decodes to 2 channel for headphone monitoring?

Page 689 of the updated Operation Manual:

Monitoring Ambisonics Audio Binaurally Using Third-Party Insert Plug-ins
Third-party Ambisonics plug-ins for binaural decoding that are not suited for use within the Control Room Phones channel can be used as insert plug-ins in the Main channel instead.
PREREQUISITE
In the Audio Connections window, you have done the following:
● You have set an Ambisonics output bus as main mix.
● You have enabled the Control Room.
● For the Control Room Monitor channel, you have selected the correct device port to send
the signal to your headphones.
NOTE
For details on how to use a third-party Ambisonics decoder plug-in, refer to the documentation that comes with it.
PROCEDURE

1. In the MixConsole, route your audio tracks to the Ambisonics output bus.
  2. In the Downmix Presets section of the Control Room, select a preset with the same
    Ambisonics format as the main mix.
  3. In the Channels section, disable Head Tracking on the miniature view of VST
    AmbiDecoder.
  4. In the Main channel of the Control Room, insert the Ambisonics decoder plug-in.
    RESULT
    You can play back Ambisonics audio binaurally via the Control Room Main channel.
    RELATED LINKS
    Available Surround Channel Configurations on page 648 Control Room Tab on page 26
    Inputs/Outputs Tab on page 22
    Setting the Default Output Bus (Main Mix) on page 29 Insert Effects on page 431

Monitoring Ambisonics Audio via a 3D Multi-Channel Speaker Configuration
The Control Room Main channel allows you to listen to Ambisonics audio via a 3D multi-channel speaker setup. For decoding Ambisonics audio to a multi-channel format, the Main channel automatically uses VST AmbiDecoder.
PREREQUISITE
● You use a studio monitor system that supports 3D speaker configurations, for example, 5.1.4.
● In the Audio Connections window, you have set an Ambisonics output bus as main mix, and enabled the Control Room.
PROCEDURE

1. In the MixConsole, route your audio tracks to the Ambisonics output bus.
  2. In the Downmix Presets section of the Control Room, select the preset that matches your
    speaker setup.
  3. In the Channels section, make your settings on the miniature view of VST AmbiDecoder or double-click it to open the plug-in panel.
    RESULT
    You can listen to Ambisonics audio via your multi-channel speaker setup.

Hello,
Binaural playback using the VST AmbiDecoder plug-in is possible via the Control Room headphones channel:

Instead of VST AmbiDecoder, you can also use third-party binaural decoding plug-ins that are suited for use within the Control Room Phones channel. Select the decoder from the pop-up menu in the Control Room Phones section.