Nuendo 8 - March GDC preview

You definitely want to know given how much each of those add ons cost!

The approach Steinberg has done in the past is to have a grace period, once they officially announce the product. I believe the grace period begins around 30 days prior to the launch of the new Steinberg product, be it Nuendo, Cubase or an add on/VST.

Hello,

this is correct. Nuendo 8 will be the most modern software Steinberg will offer.

And to answer some of the other questions:

• Nuendo 8 will only be PREVIEWED at GDC.
  • Definitely not to be released in Q1.

Thanks,
Timo

Awesome. One more question that might be difficult politically to answer! :slight_smile:

Many people are experiencing work-killing sluggish GUI problems with sessions that have more than a few audio tracks, on Mac with both C8.5 and C9. I have personally gone back to PT (where I came from to C8.5 less than a year ago) for any session that has more than a few audio tracks until it’s fixed. Do you know if this issue is addressed for Nuendo 8 since it’s based on C9? I can’t imagine post production pros would be able to deal with this issue if they’re on Mac, so I’m hoping that it’s being worked on for N8. There is a sticky that I started in the Cubase forum that Fabio is helping me out with, in order to help Steinberg remedy the issue.

Is anyone visiting the Steinberg booth?
Any more infos and screenshots or videos would be highly appreciated.

As someone who purchased N7 days before N8 was announced, is there any grace period in consideration? I would hate to feel pinched if my purchase required an additional $1000 fee just weeks later in order to access to newer version with video engine fix.

Steiny has been good about grace periods in the past… just curious if there were any additional infos related to schedule or process yet? Thx!

Please try to improve the AAF implementation, e.g.:

Still problems with Neundo reading AAFs exported from DaVinci Resolve (and including from the significant v.14 Beta review). Or other NLEs for that matter.

The bottom line is that Pro Tools 12 HD perfectly imports both video and audio from a Resolve ProTools AAF export (using both mxf and aaf). One click, perfect. It also runs multiple video tracks (plays one at a time) and rudimentary video editing, but that’s another story …

Nuendo 7 on the other had will read nothing, produces error messages etc. The AAF can be made compatible via an intermediate conversion utility, but this is only for audio. Video can only be imported via yet another render, then manually loaded, lined up etc. Kludgy round-tripping at best.

Resolve & Nuendo would be my preffered combo for round-tripping if possible, but the present AAF implementation is very weak.

Many thanks
Paul

Just worked successfully with an AAF from Resolve, the editor had to use the “ProTools” AAF rather than another option, for whatever reason that one worked perfectly. Editor had to consult with Blackmagic support to figure this out, but hey, it works! john.

Thanks, yes. Is exactly the workflow I have been using: In the case of Pro Tools 12 HD, this imports and opens both the video & the audio perfectly (Resolve to’ ProTools’ delivery options provides both AAF & MXF). Same export for Nuendo will not open anything; needs to be firstly converted into another ‘compliant’ AAF via a third party utility, then will open the AAF (audio only). In any case, have sent a query to the Steinberg AAF email address as per the sticky on this forum.

As I indicated above though: Pro Tools does this in one click – both vid & audio edits, synchronised. One export from Resolve. Very elegant round tripping; & seeing as Neundo purports to be a replacement solution for Pro Tools (and offers menu import options for MXF, AAF etc), then of course would be a reasonable expectation to see this work. Apart from the Resolve scenario here, I am yet to see a straightforward workflow for any NLE as yet (FCPX, Premier, Resolve). Seems to be designed for importing from ProTools AAF alone … a bit late to the party, to open up Pro Tools exports.

As I indicated above though: Pro Tools does this in one click – both vid & audio edits, synchronised. One export from Resolve. Very elegant round tripping; & seeing as Neundo purports to be a replacement solution for Pro Tools (and offers menu import options for MXF, AAF etc), then of course would be a reasonable expectation to see this work. Apart from the Resolve scenario here, I am yet to see a straightforward workflow for any NLE as yet (FCPX, Premier, Resolve). Seems to be designed for importing from ProTools AAF alone … a bit late to the party, to open up Pro Tools exports.

Sorry, to be clear, you’re saying that you can get it working in PT’s but not Nuendo and further, that you can’t get any NLE to export an AAF that will open properly in Nuendo? Because I’m not having any issues with AAF from Premier, Avid or FCP7 (as FCPX does not export an AAF last time I looked) so it leaves me wondering what the difference is in our systems or the editors method of creating said AAF. john.

Prof,

It would be a plus to note your system specs in your signature. PC/Mac, OS rev, etc. at a minimum. Helps people potentially help you, immensely.

Best!

I have no problem importing AAFs from Resolve, XMLs are working too so far. I had problems firts but asked my editor to try different options and he came back with something that worked fine, as far as is remember there is another way to export AAFs than over the PT-AAF-Way (Menu → Export → AAF or something like that). I can have a closer look if someone wants to.

My apologies, sure.

Former system (still plugged up) is a 5,1 mac pro, 12 core 3.33Ghz, 48MB, Sierra etc. Too slow for 4k video transcoding etc. New system is a Dell T7910 workstation: 64GB Ram; 24 core dual 3.0Ghz Xeons E5-2687Wv4; Win10 Pro; dual Nvidia Titan X GPUs; dual UHD & 4k Displays. Nuendo, DP9, Live, DaVinci Resolve, many plugs and VIs including NI, MOTU & Steinberg.