Nuendo 8 performs sluggish

same here.
i am in contact with developer team. they really care about this it seems.
let’s hope i can contribute to the problem solving.

Hi Robbie Ost,

Are you experiencing these “freezes” on a PC or on a Mac?
This is actually the first Nuendo version that doesn’t work for me, and I have a full spec HP Z820 (a Steinberg recommended workstation).
Nuendo 7 is fine, no complaints…could it be the new video engine combined with my NVidia Quadro FX 1800 videocards? (I have 3 of them in this PC).
As N7 works with Quicktime, and this works fine, it seems to me that the new video engine is most likely to be the party-pooper.

Hope they find a solution too, I love the new facilities in N8!

hi,
yes i am on pc (my sys specs are in my signature)

Same here:
first version (i am a user since version 1.5 i believe) which makes serious troubles after installation.
After I sent them a dump file which didn’t bring up any irregularities we are planning a team viewer session, hopefully soon.
something in my setup makes N8 to hickup.
i hope we can find out what it is.

next step for me would be to do a test and do a fresh windows install, then install nuendo without any eucon, copperlan, acronis,…
and see if some permanent service is disturbing or interupting, but then why isn’t N7.1 behaving weird??
well hope to find it out soon.

Thx for your reply…exactly my idea, N7 is running great, why is N8 having these issues…the developers should know what the main differences are and be able to set apart the parts that cause these problems…
Keep me posted, I’m really curious…in the meanwhile I’ll stick to N7…works good for me…

This is really weird with all the problems people are having, but so random from person to person. My specs are in my Sig, but noteworthy is I’m on Win7/64.

N8 works perfectly for me. Projects load and close slightly faster and ASIO performance is 10-15% better on N8 in the same project on my RME MADI card. I’m running a 65" 4K at 60Hz and a 1080P touchscreen from the same Nvidia video card. I run vast quantities of plugins, including 3x UAD2 Quads and loads of Nexus/Omni2/Kontact/Maschine2, etc, etc. All is working better than N7 so far.

Of note may be that I run 90% music only without video. Could many of the random issues be the new Vid engine? Variations in video subsytem and drivers most likely candidate? I think there are very few audio engine changes.

Hello Getalife2,

Funny thing is…I have the stability issues too when I’m not running any video…although it’s slightly more stable then…but it still freezes up when I start working on a project…it’s very strange…

There’s always something in the first round of revs. Compliments to Steinberg on the upgrade price. It’s appreciated and I will be watching to see when this issues is resolved. Until then…N7 ain’t broke so I’ll be staying there. I’m stuck on a 3 year old iMac - waiting to see the new Mac Pros in December.

Any news about update??

Not for me, except that acronis is not the problem. (i had a similiar problem with acronis some years ago)
The dev team didn’t contact me back yet and the guy I mailed with is on holiday now.
I will try a fresh win10 install and see what happens, but I just can’t find the time for it right now…

I’m curious to hear what a fresh install will bring Robbie Ost…although it remains strange that N7 runs great and N8 freezes up and runs crappy as hell, in my case under Windows 7…that does not point towards a fresh Windows install in my opinion…

As an aid to diagnosis, is there a key command or command line entry available to boot N8 with the video engine disabled?

hmm good point, but we seem to be a minority with this problem, so maybe we both have different origins of the problem in our setup.
or maybe not… :wink:

I don’t what else to do…but it looks like i won’t be able to do a fresh install soon anyway…not the the time nor the head for it. :wink:

Im using the trial. updated.

For me, N8 doesnt work well.
Yes its sluggish but in a random way. I have all kinds of problems with the program stucking in weird situation where zoom in-out not working or working the opposite way.
My kensingon trackball acts crazy.
the metronom isnt working from time to time.

I dont know where to begin.

I attach the last message I got from the system

Hi have the same problem. Every few minutes I get a freeze where everything stops for a minute or so then it’s
Okay again. It’s definitely something to do with the new video engine as everything is fine in N7 but more importantly everything is fine in cubase 9 which still has the old video engine.

I also have G force NVIDIA graphics and updating the drivers makes no difference.

Tank

Windows 7 64, Dual 12 Core XEON, 64 Gb memory, G Force NVIDIA graphics, RME sound cards.

N8 is running extremely well for me on my Win 7 setup. But I am bothered that it’s not for others.

Can somebody on Win10 try this? Go to: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Nuendo 8\Components and change the suffix of videoengine.dll to videoengine.xxx and do the same with VideoCodec-Apple-ProRes.dll. as in VideoCodec-Apple-ProRes.xxx. You will of course change it back to .dll later, but try that and see if it makes a difference. Of course, you cannot play video, but it’s just changing one variable at a time to track the issue down.

Video engine is the biggest change between N7 and N8 so it seems a likely place to start. Add in that there are significant differences between the way Win 7 and Win 10 handle graphics.

Just installed and looking at the new interface, my compliments, looks great guys!

No! It doesn’t look good.
Nuendo is rapidly starting to look more and more like Logic Pro X – and (worst of all) it’s starting to perform just as bad as Logic Pro X .
Steinberg is obviously trading the wrong values. The focus should be on performance, not on appearance.
N6.5 is, in my opinion, still the best performer ever from Steinberg.
Steinberg should look to Pro Tools (not to Logic Pro X) when they are “upgrading”. Then maybe we could get a real upgrade instead of a sluggishly performing makeover.

Thanks for you suggestions Getalife2!
I run on Windows 7, but tried your suggestion and renamed the videoengine and codec files, N8 seems to run fine than!
I then tried something else, and copied the engine in the N7 components folder to the N8 components folder and voila N8 runs on the old videoengine again…but not for long…it froze again after a minute or so…but the proof is here, that it has something to do with the videoengine and N8 (old and new).

Guy sand Gals!

I can’t believe it but Hamburg found my problem and it might also affect your setup:

I have (had now) a DLNA Server in my network which constantly broadcasts " I am here" so the device manager in w10 updates frequently
(once or twice per minute) and the new routine in N8 scans for new USB devices in the setup.

And as i have a RME MADI FX card with tons of I/Os this takes a while. So it freezes the UI and MIDI stream.
I just disabled the DLNA Server on my QNAP Server and I am back in Nuendo 8 Buisness now!
:slight_smile:
Maybe this helps some guys! let me know!

Matter of taste. I like Logic, and I also like that it has a way denser UI so you see more of what’s going on without folding sections in and out like an animal. And still I keep the overview. But that’s me. I understand different people have a different taste.

I have NO idea what you’re talking about.

Logic for me is blazing fast. While Nuendo is a slide show with 2 frames per second.

Excellent video Chris,

That has been pretty much my experience on my iMac as well.

Logic certainly feels a lot faster with a similar amount of tracks.

As logic is an Apple application these days, i get the sense that they’re much better at leveraging system resources, at least as far as GUI redraws and optimisations is concerned.

I do wonder how long it is going to take for SB to address and update this though.
At the moment, I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Nuendo on the Mac is generally nicer to use as the OS is imho a lot nicer and friendlier.
But performance is too sluggish now.

On my new PC, it flies, but it now has come to light that the PC version has a severe plug-in/dll issue where it will start losing plugins/not instancing them beyond a certain count, due to certain types of DLL’s that are used in VST’s.

So it appears each version has pretty major issues in its own way. Not good SB, not good…