Nuendo / Cubase compressor make up gain is placed after the dry/wet mix

As the the topic says. The standard compressor has the make up gain last in the processing chain, after the dry/wet mix.

I’d prefer to first dial in the compression, then set the make up gain so it matches the unprocessed audio. And last, choose the mix (if/when I want parallel compression).

You can achieve the same results with compressor as it works now. But setting the mix amount in % to try to match the dry side that is, say 6dB louder is weird for me. I’d rather have known levels on the both the wet and the dry side, and then set the mix.

Am I alone on this?

Best regards
Johannes

No you are not alone! This really should be changed.

as far as I understand the pages on the manual the mix dial is not blending between wet and dry
it always adds dry signal to the wet and therefore it defines the amount of the added dry signal in %

Hmm, well… But 100% dry mix in is still 0% compressed, or? That control would make no sense to me otherwise. How would you mix in, say 25% heavy compressed signal to 75% dry?

I’m not saying the way it works now is a bug. It just don’t work as most paralell mix enabled plugins work. To me it’s less intuitive then having the make up gain only affect the compressed signal.

the makeup gain does affect only the compressed signal… and you can add dry signal to it, this will affect the over all level

I think there are better tools to do parallel compression

But if I turn dry mix in knob to 100%, what am I hearing then?

I believe 100% wet and 100% dry mixed together
that’s how I understand the description in the manual…

Thanks, ok.

Still weird to me as this would make almost all forms of parallel compression inevidebly louder than whats going in to the compressor. At 100% with equally loud wet and dry, the signal ends up twice as loud…

that’s the reverse of the initial idea… you have an uncompressed signal and add a heavy compressed one… to get a louder and fuller sum
we compressed sub groups and left the channels uncompressed…
back in the 90’s in live sound

1 Like

Call it a bug or just call it an absolutely terrible design choice (in my opinion!). Impossible to make a good judgement when a plugin is raising your signal level by 6dB for no good reason!

the plugin is fine… you don’t have to use the mix knob
the standard compressor is just standard…
as already stated, there are better plugins for parallel compression
choose the right tools!

Ok, it’s ‘fine’. But in what situation would a user actively prefer this Wet/Dry functionality over the more common method, which crossfades between 100% wet and 100% dry without adding 6dB of gain to the signal? How is this a good design choice?

On this, we can agree. :grin:

sorry, I can’t discuss this… waste of time

I would love for the stock plugins to sound great and be easy to use. They’re a part of an application I use every day professionally and also paid for. I don’t like bad (in my humble opinion) functions getting implemented making the app bloated (and possibly harder to develop and keep bug free.)

The mix/parallel functions in the stock plugins differ in how they work. And that much of that is not very intuitive.

Distroyer (a new plugin) is weird. The boost knob is in both dry and wet. Distorsion is the same. Tube compressor mix knob is 100% + 100% at 50-50 setting. The “standard” compressor is already discussed and maybe the least intuitive of the bunch.

Vintage compressor mix function works as it should though. :grinning: I prefer a threshhold control to the in/out gain fixed threshold, but thats a matter of preference I guess.

PS I quite like the stock “standard” compressor otherwise. It’s my go to compressor to sidechain elements without any weird soft clipping or coloration.